Working as part of the Planning Team, the post holder will be responsible for providing high quality administrative support to the planning service which will include the validating of planning applications. They will also carry a case load of householder planning applications and provide pre-application advice for extensions to existing dwellings and advising if proposals require planning permission.
The post holder must be able to work on their own initiative and as part of a team and have good attention to detail in a busy role. They will undertake a diverse range back office tasks but also have face to face interaction with customers when visiting application sites.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office
- Principles of good customer service
- Values and promotes equality and diversity
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service
- Good communication skills both written and oral, with a good telephone manner
- Good interpersonal skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- Team player
- Confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
GCSEs: GCSE (or equivalent) Mathematics and English at grade C/4 or above.
At least a lower second class honours degree in a related-subject or at least five years of professional experience in planning as a practitioner.
Other qualifications may be considered but this will be reviewed by the Programme Lead on a case by case basis.Future prospects
Due to the current 5 Councils in Somerset becoming one Council in the future, there is likely to be opportunities to progress to become a Planning Officer.