We're looking for an enthusiastic junior developer to join the Kinetic Jam team. You will work on new and existing client projects. These projects will primarily be on WordPress however there will be opportunity to work on other platforms or upskill into other tools and technologies. You will be building new functionality along with helping to maintain existing client sites.You will be working closely with the managing director who will support your introduction and your ongoing training.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Building new features
- Contributing to the build of new WordPress websites and or plugins
- Testing, debugging and fixing issues
- Collaboration with other members of the team and our external partners to plan and execute projects to meet requirements using the latest tools and techniques
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
Essential and desirable skills:
As this is a junior role, we do expect some gaps in your knowledge and will provide training to sharpen up your skills. This role is offered through the kickstarter scheme.
The ideal candidate will already have the following:
- Some commercial WordPress experience
- An understanding of the principals of mobile first and responsive web development
- A good working knowledge of PHP understanding (any Laravel or Ruby on Rails exposure would be a real plus but not essential)
- Experience or willingness to learn version control, specifically Git
- A grasp of digital design (UX/UI) best practice would be useful
You should already have at least a basic understanding of professional development practices, build tools and frameworks. We'll also be looking for an enthusiasm for programming and a desire to learn and improve as you build a career in the web development industry. We can teach you many of the skills required for the job but who you are as a person and as a developer is what really interests us. We are a small team that is looking to grow and as one of the first additional inhouse development resources there is real scope to grow with the company and progress.Personal qualities
- A positive, can do attitude with the ability to work independently when required. This is the big one for us.
- Ability to have fun at work and become a team member
- Ability to communicate well with teammembers and clients
- Reliability and dependability
- Curiosity to learn software development and cutting edge development practices
GCSEs: GCSE (or equivalent) mathematics and English at grade 4/C or above.
UCAS tariff: 120 points from a minimum of three A levels (excluding General Studies, Critical Thinking or Citizenship) or one vocational A level.
International Baccalaureate: 30 points.
BTEC National Diploma/QCF Extended Diploma: 18 units. Acceptable subjects include; IT, engineering, software development, IT practitioners, computing, and science. For art, sports, business or humanities related subjects please enquire for information. You will be interviewed before an offer is made.
You must have at least one IT related qualification.Future prospects
Intention to offer a full-time job at the end of the course and further progression into our mid-level and senior roles.Things to consider
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates