You will be taught:
- Engine fitting / Hydraulics / Plumbing / Air con / Gas installation /
- Reading Eng drawings / Welding / Grinding, Polishing tools / Fitting fuel, water, waste tanks / Hand assembly
- Core Behaviours Requirements
- Attention to detail
- Fault finding and problem-solving skills
- Time oriented
- Self-motivated with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Manufacturing and Engineering organisations require their apprentices to have a set of behaviours that will ensure success both in their role and in the overall company objectives. The required behaviours are:
- Personal responsibility and resilience - Comply with the health and safety guidance and procedures, be disciplined and have a responsible approach to risk, work diligently regardless of how much they are being supervised, accept responsibility for managing time and workload and stay motivated and committed when facing challenges.
- Work effectively in teams - Integrate with the team, support other people, consider implications of their own actions on other people and the business whilst working effectively to get the task completed.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills - An open and honest communicator, communicates clearly using appropriate methods, listen well to others and have a positive and respectful attitude.
- Focus on quality and problem solving - Follow instructions and guidance, demonstrate attention to detail, follow a logical approach to problem solving and seek opportunities to improve quality, speed and efficiency.
- Continuous personal development - Reflect on skills, knowledge and behaviours and seek opportunities to develop, adapt to different situations, environments or technologies and have a positive attitude to feedback and advice.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Practically minded with the ability to problem solve
- Good communication and listening skills
- Good observational skills
- Able to work well as part of a team
- Ability to use own initiative
- Precision and high level of accuracy
- A team player
- Hard working
- Safety conscious
- Good time keeping
- Able to learn hands-on skills
- Able to follow instructions
- GCSE Maths and English A - C / 4 - 9 grades (or equivalent)
- GSCE in Design technology or Resistant Materials (desirable)
A permanent position may be available for the right candidate following successful completion of the Apprenticeship.Things to consider
Apprentices will be appointed a trained mentor who will oversee, organise and teach boatbuilding skills.
Working conditions are good, most work is inside well-lit and well-appointed workshops as well as the boats.
Apprentices will complete a detailed company induction with extra focus on Health & Safety i.e. WAH/COSHH/MH
Apprentices will have planned time for any college work during normal work time.
Apprentices as part of the Oyster Academy will have a graduation on completion of their apprenticeship, they will have organised visit to other sites in the group which will include the opportunity to go onboard a yacht during sea trails.
All apprentices will play an active role in Project Pinocchio, our company initiative to support local play groups by designing, making and donating traditional wooden toys. The apprentices will visit and present the toys.
Apprentices must have reliable transport.