Who are we looking for?
We are looking to recruit a recent graduate to work as a Mechanical Engineer with practical hands-on experience with mechanical components to use new technology and implement robotic solutions for hazardous environments. A perfect opportunity to join a rapidly growing department which designs and operates the equipment used for maintenance and upgrade of the JET Tokamak as well other commercial projects.
As a Remote Handling Operations Engineer you will be trained to work on the deployment of robotic systems for hazardous environments and will have the opportunity to work across a range of international projects. The work will include the operation of a full remote handling system, tool and component design, and remote handling task development.
If you have a recognised HND or degree in Mechanical Engineering, can work with a high degree of attention to detail, take responsibility for your own work and speak up if unsure, this could be a great opportunity for you.
What will you be responsible for?
* Operating a remote handling system to maintain and upgrade complex machinery in an inaccessible area.
* Designing equipment and tooling so that complex operations can be undertaken using a robotic remote handling system.
* Specification of physical and virtual mock-ups.
* Developing sequence descriptions and remote handling operating procedures.
* Assisting in the shift management for remote handling operations.
* Reporting and presentation of feasibility assessments and operating procedures.
Please not that you may be required to work in Beryllium and Radiation controlled areas. All necessary training and registration for this will be provided by UKAEA. Occasionally our work involves operations staffed in shifts and you must be prepared to work shifts or be on call as required.
Please also note that this role will not form part of the UKAEA Graduate Scheme, and will be recruited as a direct intake for the department