CHP are an award winning, people focused organisation based in Chelmsford, Essex, and we are hiring. We have been providing more homes for people unable to rent or buy privately since March 2002 and we aim to build a home a day - 365 new homes per year.
We are looking for a Grounds Maintenance Apprentice to join the team delivering a grounds maintenance service at CHP properties and communal areas;
This is a great chance to start your career, or make a change, and we would encourage applications from anyone who wants to be part of an organisation that's committed to making a difference in housing.
We recognise there are many different routes into employment, which is why we offer an apprenticeship training scheme. We've had a successful apprenticeship programme at CHP for many years.
Apprenticeships allow people to gain useful experience to progress in their career, whilst studying for a qualification and getting paid. The practical element of an apprenticeship means apprentices can accelerate their learning much quicker.
We offer apprenticeships in both trade and housing roles. Many of our successful apprentices go on to secure permanent employment with us, and some are now managers.
- Reports to Grounds Maintenance Team Leader
- Support CHP's grounds service by assisting the Grounds Maintenance team with grass cutting at sheltered schemes, communal grass areas and individual gardens as part of discretionary service;
- Assist with horticultural work, such as maintaining shrub beds, hedge trimming and planting;
- Ensure works are carried out with full regard to Manual Handling principles and ensure the health and safety of the Grounds Maintenance team, associated teams and other visitors, in line with CHP's Health and Safety policy and statutory requirements;
- Contribute to the performance of the team and the department by positively participating in team meetings, and support the Grounds Maintenance Team Leader in working to continuously improve the delivery of the grounds maintenance service;
- Provide excellent service to CHP's customers and act in accordance with CHP's Service Standards to meet a high level of customer satisfaction;
- Attend college to gain relevant horticultural and landscape qualification level 2 or 3;
- Undertake any other responsibilities relevant to this post, as directed by your line manager.
- Embrace CHP's mission, strategic objectives, and values by being a great team player who leads by example in line with our competency framework to do what it takes to ensure CHP's success, as well as customer excellence.
- Taking responsibility for your own safety, you will follow correct procedures to ensure a safe and healthy working environment for yourself and others.
- Be compliant with the Risk Management Policy, raise awareness of risk with employees, implement strategies to minimise risk and report any new or emerging risks.
- Embrace equality, diversity and inclusion in the workplace and adhere to all other relevant policies and procedures.
- GCSE standard or equivalent with a good standard of literacy and numeracy.
Experience, knowledge and skills
- An interest in, or awareness of working in a grounds/garden maintenance environment;
- Some knowledge of Manual Handling and Health and Safety in the workplace;
- Ability to use own initiative and take on new work enthusiastically;
- Methodical and accurate approach to work;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Good communication skills;
- Basic IT skills.
Values and Personal Competencies
- Committed to CHP's vision and values as well as Equality and Diversity;
- Committed to provide an excellent service to CHP customers.
- Full driving licence;
- Experience of operating grass cutting equipment and other horticultural equipment.
Please ensure you take the time to answer the questions on the application form. Failure to do so will disqualify you from the process.
Committed to equality of opportunity, we welcome applications from all sections of the community. Applications for job share and part-time working will be considered on a business needs basis.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
This role will be paid at National Minimum Wage.