Placed in one of the Westminster Directorates you will be:
- Attending daily Sprint Stand Up with team
- Designing programs and program modifications from supplied specifications, using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result
- Creating and amending programs in accordance with the design
- Planning, designing, and conducting tests of programs; correcting errors and re-testing to achieve an error-free result
- Designing applications using templates and tools to specify user/system interfaces
- Assisting on design of components of larger systems
- Assisting with the specification of user/system interfaces and prototypes/procedures
- Assisting with planning, arranging, and facilitating meetings and workshops
At Westminster City Council, they believe everyone should be valued, and they are passionate about our aim to be an inclusive workplace that reflects the communities they serve. As such, they welcome applicants from underrepresented backgrounds, including BAME, LGBTQ+ and those with hidden or visible disabilities.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Good communication skills
- Three months' prior coding experience (or equivalent)
- Works under routine direction
- Works without frequent reference to others
- Interacts with and may influence immediate colleagues
- May have some external contact with users, suppliers, and partners
- Performs a range of work activities in varied environments
- May contribute to routine issue resolution
- Understands and uses appropriate methods, tools, and applications
- Demonstrates a rational and organised approach to work
- Identifies and negotiates own development opportunities
5 GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including English, and maths.
Level 3 qualification (A level, BTEC or equivalent).Future prospects
After your Software Engineering apprenticeship, you can progress into a junior developer role (this includes web and app development).
You'll have the skills to continue growing within a tech team and have enough knowledge/experience to pick up new languages with ease.
Software Engineering Level 4 will also provide a good foundation for transitioning into data science.