This role is working under the site Growing Manager, to maximize the yield from the crop and ensure we have the best quality plants, through disease and pest prevention and effective growing methods, to ensure we get the crops ready and to our customers on time in order the delight the customers.
We should always be looking to the future and making sure we use the best techniques and are always looking to develop the species we grow, along with growing methods and sourcing from ethical sources.
We should be looking at how we grow green, and ensuring all products are grown to our plastic and peat reductions strategies whilst still being able to get the best product grown and to the customer as we intended.
Duties involved are:
- Crop planting and scheduling to hit growing times
- Identifying what the plants needs from both a feed and pest control points of view
- Developing the business and looking at new varieties and specifies that have are viable from a cost and customer point of view
- Planning potting and harvest to meet customers' demands, using the latest growing techniques , and looking at other sustainable and greener ways to grow without affecting the overall quality of the plants
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Someone who is a great communicator and can manage all key stakeholders
- A real people person that puts both the customer and the colleagues at the forefront of decision making
- Cost focused and looking at how we get the best from our crops at the best possible value
- Quality focused to delight our customers and have the ranges that people want to see and buy
- Someone who listens and responds to both customers and colleagues through the right channels
- Computer literate and be able to analyze the data and processes to always see how we can improve performance
The person should be passionate about what we do and want to be part of a successful team, showing care and consideration to all that work with them.Desired qualifications
The candidate should hold GSCEs at grades 4/C or above, or equivalent. They would also ideally hold a HNC/HND in a related subject.Future prospects
We would expect the candidate develop into theSite Grower whooversees all nursery operations and the growing season, depending on vacancies and site plans.Things to consider
The site is 24 acre site, with both glass houses and outdoor growing space.The person in the role needs to like working outside and be comfortable with nature, and ideally they will already have knowledge of horticulture and an understanding of the growing process.