The Technician Scientist roles at the CGT Catapult Manufacturing Innovation Centre in Braintree are required to directly perform MS&T activities, which includes optimisation and characterisation of Manufacturing and Quality Control processes.
The Technician Scientist will complete all department documentation in a manner compliant with the principle of ALCOA. i.e. Attributable, Legible, Contemporaneous, Original, and Accurate. The Technician Scientist will also be responsible for data entry and signing responsibility for in-laboratory actions. These records may include but are not limited to cell culture, filtration, purification, concentration, analytical and preparation steps.
- Execute direct activities e.g. cell culture, filtration, purification, concentration, analytical and preparation steps, in the MS&T laboratories in line with department SOPs and policy.Produce and analyse data demonstrating the results of laboratory work using our computer-based analysis tools.
- Complete area operations in line with department safety, COSHH, product and process Risk Assessments, and with all actions and control measures executed as required while contributing to recommendations on process improvements and appropriate workflows.
- Maintain laboratory areas and equipment in a clean and safe manner according to relevant SOPs
- Perform MS&T equipment and area planned maintenance and calibration activities as required
- Direct ALCOA compliant completion of all MS&T related documentation including Laboratory Notebooks and area/equipment logbooks
- Assist in the direct delivery of the agreed MS&T project plans, ensuring that own tasks are prioritised and evaluated against project plan objectives.
As part of your employment, you will be undertaking the Level 5 Technician Scientist Higher Apprenticeship with the University of Kent. Accordingly, we have ensured the required qualifications identified in this advert reflect their entry criteria. We will consider your prior qualifications along with your application and reserve the right to cease progressing your application if you do not meet the required qualifications to enrol onto the apprenticeship programme.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to develop technical writing skills and execute work with a high level of attention to detail
- Knowledge of HSE
- Good IT skills
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Strong interest in Cell and Gene Therapies
- Good team player but comfortable working with minimal supervision
- You will need two A-Levels (or equivalent) including biology, or have completed a Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship in a relevant science discipline
- GCSE (or equivalent) in English and maths
Fixed term for the duration of the apprenticeship, with a view that this become permanent subject to performance.Things to consider
Salary is £16,000 plus£2,000 annual travel expenses.