Locations: Stevenage, Ware RD or Brentford, Multiple roles available. Please read below about the positions we are recruiting for, when you apply you will be able to select 3 preferences. We will accommodate your preference where possible. Degree requirements:
You will have completed a minimum of 2 years of your undergraduate degree; but will not have graduated at the start of your placement. You may be expected to provide evidence from your university to show you will be an undergraduate student for the duration of the placement year and they are supportive of your placement.
Must be undertaking a degree in data science or, computing combined with mathematics, statistics or a numerate scientific discipline. Locations:
GSK House (Brentford), Stevenage, Ware Benefits:
- A salary of GBP21,000-GBP22,500, plus a bonus
- Access to GSK resources such as employee assistance programmes, private healthcare, and training and development.
1 year (approximately) Application deadline:
We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and will close this vacancy once we have enough applications.Want to solve some of the world's biggest health challenges?
With over 300 years of innovation, we're a science-led global healthcare company that discovers, develops and manufactures innovative medicines and vaccines. Our industrial placements are real roles with real responsibility, where you can gain experience in a purpose-led, performance-driven healthcare business. Join us and help millions of people do more, feel better, live longer.
GSK are a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops innovative Pharmaceuticals and Vaccines products. Our challenging and inspiring mission is to enable people to do more, feel better and live longer by developing innovative products and improving access to healthcare for patients around the world.
Whatever the role, you will experience working in a fast-paced research environment with access to cutting edge technology, whilst interacting with industry-leading scientists across multiple disciplines and sharing different experiences. During the internship, you will be supported and given training (laboratory and office practices, where applicable) until confident to work independently - with a focus on GSK health and safety requirements. You will be enrolled in GSK internal courses to develop your knowledge of company policy and for your personal development including opportunities to attend seminars led by GSK scientists and networking opportunities.Role 1: Statistician
We are looking for students with strong mathematical/statistical skills, keen to experience the role of a statistician in the pharmaceutical industry. Statisticians working in our Biostatistics department are invaluable contributors throughout drug development and supply, supporting scientists and clinicians in the areas of medicine discovery, design and analysis of clinical trials, as well as non-clinical activities ensuring the quality and safety of products delivered to patients. We offer industrial placement opportunities in both clinical and non-clinical statistics groups. During your year at GSK you will have clear responsibilities and receive training to improve both your technical and personal skills.
- Advise clients on the experimental design of studies or clinical trial design (e.g. sample size, randomisation scheme etc.),
- Provide statistical analysis, reporting and interpretation of study results,
- Perform peer reviews for output appearing in regulatory files,
- Understand the background and statistical methods important for drug development,
- Use appropriate statistical methodology and software to carry out the above duties,
- Work in close consultation with professional statisticians.
Role 2: Statistical Data Scientist
- Become proficient in SAS programming, R, Statistica or Design Expert software,
- Learn the theory of new statistical methodology and how to apply it by collaborating with highly skilled statisticians and attending training courses,
- Experience the role of a statistical consultant, working closely with cross-functional teams to translate scientific or clinical problems into statistical ones,
- Gain industry knowledge in potentially a wide range of therapeutic areas, overseeing short-term or long-term projects that cover multiple GSK drugs.
In the UK, professional statisticians, programmers and data analysts are employed to support the research programmes of GSK's new medicines-from early research through to launching a new product. The increasing amount of sound scientific data generated from well-designed experiments, from high throughput screening of chemical compounds to phase I-IV clinical trials to establish safety and efficacy in patients, mean data scientists play a crucial role in support of major drug development decisions.Statistical Data Sciences drives the creation of rich data science infrastructure within GSK and develops and supports statistical and numerical software for statisticians in Biostatistics and scientists in Research & Development internationally. The placement will provide you with experience of software development in a regulated industry where quality is paramount.
- Be closely involved in the work of the department and will undertake a variety of training to improve both technical and personal skills.
- Write applications using R and other programming languages,
Role 3: Trainee Statistical Programmer/Analyst
- Work in close consultation with professional Data Scientists
- Learn how to interact effectively with colleagues and customers.
- Assist with routine support activities including the responsibility for the department's website.
Your role at GSK will enable you to understand the process of drug development from the perspective of Biostatistics, you will be involved in the work of the clinical programming department. This placement will enable you to understand the programming methods important in drug development. To do this, you will become familiar with various GSK systems used in Clinical trial reporting, such as internal reporting systems and data visualization tools. You will learn how to interact effectively with colleagues and customers to deliver responsive, robust solutions that will improve quality, efficiency and effectiveness of R&D at GSK. A range of training courses will be available, giving you the opportunity to develop your technical and personal skills. During your time at GSK you will become proficient in SAS and R. You will also have the chance to write programs to analyse and report clinical and metrics data using SAS and R software, working in close consultation with professional Programmer Analysts and Statisticians. You will work closely with your team giving you the opportunity to learn from more experienced staff. Please note:
We also offer a range of other Industrial Placement programmes at GSK. Please search #IndustrialPlacements on jobs.gsk.com for the full list of available roles. Get to grips with our recruitment process
If you have what we're looking for apply today!