Working at Hanson is about being part of One Team. We operate around 300 manufacturing sites in the UK and employ over 3,500 people in a wide range of roles from production workers, plant operators, technicians and drivers to sales, IT, engineering and finance managers. We are part of the Heidelberg Cement Group, one of the largest building materials manufacturers in the world, employing over 45,000 people at 2,300 locations in 40 countries. Our aim is to be a leading sustainable business and we are committed to being fair, respectful and inclusive and are an equal opportunities employer. We exceed customer expectations through an engaged team that is professional, responsible and reliable. We believe in working safely and sustainably, focusing on a zero-harm workplace and our ambitious target to reduce our CO2 emissions by 50 per cent by 2030. Our employees understand that we do much more than just produce materials: we are vital to ensuring roads can be built and maintained; we manufacture the concrete foundations for buildings such as schools and hospitals; and we are part of major infrastructure projects that will shape the future of the UK
Description of Team / Department
Hanson technical UK is committed to maintaining an industry leading level of customer satisfaction through continuous quality assurance and improvement of its product portfolio and technical services by developing, documenting and maintaining a comprehensive quality management program.
You will be working as part of a team with supervision and will be expected to maintain excellent standards and attention to detail.
The work of the technical team underpins all aspects of the production, sales and distribution divisions in concrete, aggregates and asphalt.
Purpose of / Responsibilities of the role
It is the duties of the Apprentice Laboratory Technician to perform laboratory and field based specimen preparation and testing tasks for Concrete, Asphalt and Quarry products in accordance with relevant British standards and company procedures.
- Maximising the contribution of the technical departments towards ensuring cost effective product manufacture.
- Establishing and maintaining product quality levels consistent with commercial/operational drivers and customer requirements.
- Administering high quality technical support to commercial, operations and external customers.
- Work in a safe manner following all Health and Safety regulations
- Following all company procedures relating to his/her own work activities
- Liaising with Managers/Team Leaders and other departments as required
- To work as an integral part of the Technical Team to ensure that work is carried out as safely and as efficiently as possible.
- Other duties as requested by your manager
Skills / Experience
- Applicants should be enthusiastic, willing and committed to developing their Technical career in a global company.
- You will be required to complete a study and apprenticeship programme. Successful completion will result in the Level 2 Apprenticeship in Mineral and Construction Product Sampling and Testing Operations. You will be required to commit to a distance learning package and allocated off the job training time during your working week to assist in your studies.
- Complete and Maintain all required apprenticeship documentation and adhere to all apprenticeship requirements and commitments
Applications will be considered from those who have or are likely to obtain 5 GCSE's including Math's, English and a Science subject at Grade C or Grade 4 and above. Predicted grades must be verified by official School reports.
Applicants should have:
- Can demonstrate lateral thinking to solve issues.
Ambition & Motivation
- Interest and enthusiasm for the role and working in the building products sector.
- Self-motivation to seek out new opportunities for learning and development.
- Willingness to develop the ability to express ideas and impart key messages clearly, confidently and effectively through both written and oral communication and to a variety of audiences.
Working with others
- The ability and awareness to work with a diverse workforce across different business sectors, and to work alongside others to achieve common goals.
- The ability to understand data, both written and numerical, and being able to identify key trends to develop informed solutions that can address specific issues.
- The ability to prioritise tasks and manage time effectively.
- Willingness to build effective relationships both within and outside the division and department,
- Willingness to seek input from and maintain effective ongoing communication with Mentor, site Champion and colleagues.
Excellent Remuneration and Benefits
- 27 days holiday
- For office and regional roles, after 6 months of joining, agile working considered subject to manager discretion
- Leading pension scheme offering with generous contributions from Hanson.
- 24/7 access to an online employee discount platform. Save money on everything from groceries, electronics, fashion, holidays, and much more.
- Ongoing training and development and opportunities to help further your career.
- A comprehensive structured induction programme.
- Experience within a well-respected global market leader.
- Benefits supporting you and your family, such as Cycle to work, voluntary Life assurance.
- Access to discounted private medical benefits
- Paid day off to Volunteer every year
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
Location: Cliffe Hill/ Coalville Full Time / Part Time: full time Working Hours: 40.00 hrs Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract Shift Description: Monday - Friday