The Malvern College's state-of-the-art Sports Complex comprises a 25-metre deck level pool, a 50-piece fitness suite, 2 glass-backed squash courts, an 8-court Sports Hall, climbing wall, a dance studio and a rifle range. In addition to serving the term time needs of the College and its students, the Sports Complex provides facilities for the local community, both in term time and in the school holidays. Leisure Operations Apprentices will fill a key customer focused role, providing operational support to the Duty Managers in running the complex on a day to day basis.
Purpose of the role:
- To supervise users of the complex, whilst providing assistance, ensuring all equipment is used in a safe manner and helping to prevent accidents
- To clean and maintain the facilities and to assist with all aspects of the day-to-day operation of the complex
- To act as poolside lifeguard when required
- To caution swimmers regarding unsafe practices
- To rescue swimmers in danger of drowning and administer first aid
- To maintain discipline in swimming areas
- To conduct or officiate at swimming events as required
- To maintain their National Pool Lifeguard qualification and personal fitness levels
- To ensure all relevant health and safety procedures and licensing regulations are followed by users of the complex
- To work as part of a team to ensure the smooth operation of the complex
- To set up, take down and store equipment for events and activities, ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations
- To store equipment in a safe and tidy manner in order to avoid damage to equipment and injury to staff. To report any defective equipment in the appropriate manner
- To assist in the organisation of events, activities and children's parties and playschemes
- To ensure the highest possible standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained by carrying out routine and spot cleaning tasks as appropriate and in accordance with recognised health and safety practices including C.O.S.H.H. and manual handling policies
- To assist with customer enquires in a friendly and effective manner
This will be a varied role within the Leisure Centre and your main duties will include:
- Maintain the Supervision of those in the pool
- Make sure safety standards are followed
- Check that life-saving equipment is in full working order
- Complete health and safety checks as and when directed
- Organise and supervise assistants and helpers
- Deal with minor injuries and accidents.
If you do not already hold your NPLQ, you will put on the course and must pass in order to continue with the apprenticeship.
Flexibility towards the hours and role are essential as you will be required to work on a shift-rota basis including evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
The programme is 12-15 months in duration working towards Leisure Team member Level 2 Standard Apprenticeship and you will be employed on a fixed term contract. On successfully completing your Apprenticeship we would expect to be able to offer you continued employment and development opportunities.