As an apprentice Software Engineer you will play a key role in our core technology team. Your primary focus and main objective will be to support the development team in developing, testing and integrating software (written in C#, Vue.js, SQL and other computer languages) for a whole range of projects. The work will provide both challenging and stimulating working environment for the right candidate, who's passionate about writing and delivering efficient code using good Software Engineering practices and learning about our business.
You will assigned to one of our Software Development or Data Engineering projects where you will assist the lead software engineer in running the whole software development lifecycle (SDLC): from requirements capture and business analysis through to development, testing and delivering software to several business units across the company. You will further assist the technology team in configuring and running various project management and data analysis tools and applications
Your duties may include:
- Follow and adhere to our 'Smart Values'
- Embrace being part of a team
- Be open-minded and curious with a desire to learn and get involved
- Share your discoveries and knowledge with the wider business
- Be a team player who can build relationships and manage expectations
- Master effective communication with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels
Training and development
We are truly committed to the professional and personal development of our employees and we have every intention to support a permanent opportunity upon successful completion of your apprenticeship. You will be supported by an experienced member of our tech team, be exposed to the variety of projects we have in place and work closely with the rest of the company. This Level 4 apprenticeship scheme will enable you to develop on your technical skills and give you the necessary commercial practical experience to supplement your qualification.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- A passion and motivation for Software Engineering and creating high-quality and resilient software
- Basic knowledge of C#/.NET, SQL and other computer languages for writing efficient, reliable and intuitive code
- An understanding and appreciation for the practical use of APIs. Working knowledge of API's would be a huge advantage
- An engineering mind-set, with a curious and innovative yet structured approach to solving problems
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud or Azure
- Exposure to Data Management techniques - modelling, extraction, cleansing and manipulation - would be a bonus
- Attention to detail
- Punctual and driven
5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent including English and maths.Future prospects
The role offers long term security and the opportunity to progress into a permanent position.Things to consider