An excellent opportunity to join a world leading systems & infrastructure company where you will work alongside exceptional project management and engineering professionals to deliver railway systems infrastructure projects.
Alstom deliver major railway projects across the globe and have recently been vital in the delivery of Crossrail, and HS2 (enabling projects) in the UK.
In addition, we have been awarded by Network Rail, two significant major signalling frameworks and you will be part of the team that will be delivering Contracts awarded under those Frameworks.
Your day to day activities will involve learning about and assisting the commercial and contract management dept., to achieve financialperformance targets and goals by optimising margin and protecting the company from commercial risk
Whilst supporting the project team to deliver these contracts, you will be in the commercial team supporting the administration of customer and supplier contracts.
Working in this exciting industry you will work to become a key team member understanding the importance of delivery on time and to budget, maintaining a strong customer focus, whilst protecting the commercial and financial interests of the company.
Provide support and assistance to the Commercial Manager or Lead Quantity Surveyor to optimise margin on a project whilst protecting the project from commercial risk and maintaining a high standard in all areas in accordance with Alstom Policies and Procedures.
You will undertake a planned rotation within appropriate departments in order to gain the skills and competencies to complete the Standard requirements.
You will also undertake internal training not covered by the Standard.
Over a 3-year program, our Apprenticeships combine academic college studies with real life work-based experience across our Organisation. You will have the opportunity to build and gather evidence of your competence whilst working towards a formal qualification.
- Attend training provider courses full time or day release as requested
- Operate at an appropriate level carrying out designated tasks within the team assigned
- Participate in Company Initiatives, in particular to be engaged in Continuous Improvement activity targeted at all aspects of Alstom performance
- Conduct oneself at all times in a manner that reflects positively on Alstom
- To comply with Alstom Procedures and Code of Ethics
- Management of Client & Supplier Accounts - Support with the administration of Sub-contractor accounts from project start up through to final account, including the administration of sub-contract payments and issuing payment notices
- Commercial & Contract Guidance - Work with the commercial team to understand the key principles of construction contracts and their application
- Record Keeping - Support the collation of contemporaneous records which identify progress, delays and controlled change management
- Financial Targets & Budgets - Provide support which aligns with the commercial management strategy
- Support, Relationships & Procedures - Establish good relationships within Project Teams, the Supply Chain (including sub-contractors), and the Client in line with Alstom procedures
- Best practice - Support the expansion of best practice within the commercial team
- Training & Development - Pursue the training and professional development goals of the commercial apprenticeship scheme
- Commercial team
- Project team
- Legal & Compliance Department
- Product / Platform teams
- Sourcing and Procurement
- Tender teams
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong IT skills, such as the use of MS Outlook, Word, Excel,PowerPoint
- Ability to interact and work within a multi-disciplined team (with flexibility around team roles), with good interpersonal skills, and be able to work on your own initiative where required
- Able to communicate clearly within peer groups
- The right attitude and adherence towards safety is highly important
- Capable of working under pressure and to deadlines
- Developing organisation and planning skills
- A Level DD or
- BTEC National Diploma MMM or
- Level 3 Apprenticeship in related subject or
- 5 GCSEs - minimum Grade C/5 including mathsand English (or equivalent qualifications)
Alstom offer opportunities to extend apprenticeship learning through to Degree and Chartered status if the candidate is suitable and the business need exists.Things to consider
You should also be prepared for a life of travel, with lots and lots of learning.
As a level 4 Apprentice Quantity Surveyor, having joined the company with the necessary entry level requirements, you willcombine academic college studies with real life work-based experience across our organisation, developing Quantity Surveying, Commercial and Contract Management skills, and gaining project management, engineering and technical knowledge leading to the award of level 4-6 qualifications; certificate, diploma and BSc (Hons).
You will also work towards becoming a Member of the Chartered Institute of Civil Engineering Surveyors (or the Royal Institute of Quantity Surveyors); all of which will enable you to progress in a career that will be rewarding and fulfilling.