The successful applicant will be involved in all day to day aspects of the brewing process, from recipe development, to ingredient selection, wort production, fermentation control, packaging, quality control and brewery maintenance. The Brewer Apprentice will work closely with all members of our brewing team and be fully involved in the day to day running of the brewery. There will also be opportunities to get involved in other aspects of brewery operations, including scheduling & planning, sales & marketing, and warehouse management.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Fulfil all training and personal development obligations to meet the requirements of the apprenticeship standard
- Become competent in every step of the brewing process, including the intake of raw materials
- All elements of preparation, control, and processing; the recording of the brewing process and the safe transfer of beer according to standard operating procedures
- Understand and be able to package beer into cask, keg, can and bottle
- Be competent with regards to CIP cleaning of all brewing plant andequipment
- Maintain the brewing and production area in a clean, tidy organized and hygienic manner
- Complete all required quality checks and maintain accurate written brewing records
- Engage in public-facing activities such as product launches or beer tasting sessions
- Carry out any other duties as required
The Brewer Apprentice will undertake an 18-month level 4 qualification where you will learn and practice the skills required to become a successful Brewer. As part of your apprenticeship, you will have the opportunity to attend 12 workshops at Nottingham Brewing School to help cement your knowledge and understanding. Apprentices will also complete and earn their Institute of Brewing and Distilling 'General Certificate in Brewing' as part of their learning.
40 hours per week
Typical working week: Monday - Friday 9:00-5:30pm
Staff beer discounts
Plus opportunities for additional hours at beer festivals, events and at our on-site tap room (including weekend working)
You will be required to taste beer as part of your role, so the applicant must be 18 years or over.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Have good IT skills have the ability to meticulously follow processes and procedures with an aptitude for technical and mechanical skills
- The apprenticeship course requires good knowledge of maths, English and Scientific principles so you must have passed in these subjects at GCSE
- Previous brewing knowledge is not necessary but may be advantageous
- Be a clear and confident communicator
- Have excellent time management and organisational skills
- Display a passion for beer and it's production
- Enthusiasm for learning and working within a small, tight knit team
- Be hard-working, reliable and possess an eye for detail
- Enjoy variety and multi-tasking as part of your working week
- Be organised, resilient, positive, self-aware and calm under pressure
- GCSE maths and English and preferably at least one GCSE in Science, all at grades A*-C/9-4
It is intended that a full time position be made available at The Runaway Brewery upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
The brewery would support a candidate who would like to go on to further study upon successful completion of the apprenticeship and the General Certificate in Brewery (e.g. IBD Diploma).