With full support of a mentor, you will work alongside the infrastructure team and will be involved in activities such as systems maintenance, ensuring sensitive data is managed appropriately and implementing new technical solutions to corporate problems.
Duties will include:
- Supporting and developing the corporate ICT infrastructure including client devices, servers, storage and networks.
- Assisting with the installation, integration, testing and maintenance of network and telecommunications infrastructure (including, but not limited to the Council's LAN, WAN, VPN, VoIP, Call Centre and Telephone systems) ensuring all quality, asset management and configuration management processes are followed.
- Providing support for the configuration of network switches, routers and firewalls to ensure the business demands are met whilst also maintaining a secure environment.
- Liaising with the Senior Network Officer and ICT Helpdesk to ensure all changes are communicated and understood by colleagues and staff
- Assisting and supporting with the development of the network security policy(s), ensuring this is consistently applied.
- Recommending and implementing security measures as appropriate to ensure the security and availability of Council systems.
Assisting with the following services;
- Email and network filtering devices
- Active Directory & Group Policy
- IP Telephone Service
- Virtual Server Environment
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- VEEAM Backups
- Storage Area Networks
- Server Backup Environment
- DMZ Infrastructure
- Assisting the team to ensure client devices and servers are patched with the latest security patches and support other members of the team to enable this to happen.
- Assisting the team to ensure servers are backed up to tape backup and that files can be restored by the helpdesk team when required.
- Assisting the team to ensure that the VEEAM environment is working correctly and that business critical servers are included.
- Assisting with the support and delivery of a set of daily tasks that ensure the Infrastructure is operational and ready for internal customers use each morning.
- Assisting with the delivery of management reports enabling capacity planning for servers and Storage Area Networks.
- Providing technical support for problem resolution in response to incidents/change requests received via the ICT Service Desk.
- Working with other members of the team to deliver projects using recognised project management methodologies to agreed standards.
- Working with other members of the team to maintain the integrity of Council data particularly in relation to disaster recovery.
- Assisting in the diagnosis and resolution of problems relating to the ICT infrastructure.
- Supporting the team to ensure releases, upgrades, fixes and patches available from software suppliers are installed in line with agreed implementation plans.
- Ensuring that documentation relating to corporate systems and software is kept current and available for use by other members of the team.
- Monitoring the progress of reported incidents and ensuring internal customers are kept informed.
- Working with other members of the team to plan and implement corporate communications networks, databases and servers including integration between applications, partner sites or external networks.
- Assisting with the support and helping to continuously improve the ICT infrastructure service.
- Actively developing a positive working relationship with both internal and external customers and external suppliers
- To provide occasional extended out of hours support as required by the business.
- To undertake such other reasonable duties as may be requested
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft Windows server technologies and applications.
- Able to interpret and apply relevant legislation and policy.
- Evidence of current technical competencies and specializations within the ICT industry
- Evidence of success in building and developing partnerships and working effectively in co-operation with a wide range of customers.
- Excellent team working skills
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Skilled in building effective external networks
- Able to deal with customers tactfully and sensitively
- Excellent active listening skills
- To communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
- To work to conflicting demands and priorities
- Ability to demonstrate responsibility for own learning, including pulling support and expertise to solve customer problems.
- Able to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Able to work within health and safety guidelines, ensuring safety of self and others
- Professional and able to remain calm and collected
- Trustworthy as the ICT Infrastructure and Network Apprentice will be dealing with sensitive and confidential information from councillors, officers and members of the public
Minimum of 5 X GCSEs grades 9-4 (A-C) or equivalent, including maths and english. In addition an A Level or BTEC Level 3 in IT (or equivalent) is required.Future prospects
This is an excellent opportunity for someone to progress a long rewarding career with the council. For the right person there may be the opportunity to progress on to Digital and Technology Solutions Professional Degree Apprenticeship.Things to consider
You must be able to work flexibly to meet the needs of the customers which includes evenings, weekends when required and in various locations across Bromsgrove and Redditch Councils. A full driving licence is preferrable, as use of a vehicle is required during work hours.