*Graduate Process Engineer*
*Competitive salary and benefits*
*Date Posted: *04.10.21
*Make a more meaningful impact to patients' lives around the globe!*
With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is bright. Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward. There's no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we lead the way for healthcare and society.
*We are looking to recruit Graduate Process Engineers who are enthusiastic, motivated and willing to learn, to join our Process Engineering teams within PT&D.*
*Who we are*
A high performing team, we are united and motivated by our shared purpose - to deliver life-changing medicines. We come to work each day to make a difference - to patients, society and our company.
*What we do*
We are a global, science-led Biopharmaceutical business and our innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
*Why we love it*
Here we ensure that everyone can reach their full potential, perform at their best and make a valued contribution to the enterprise. Most importantly, we do meaningful work that changes lives. It's our purpose that drives us, every day.
*The Location - Macclesfield Campus*
Based in Cheshire, in the North West of England, we operate from modern and vibrant sustainable work spaces. We have a large subsidised restaurant, coffee and 'grab and go' stations, and a gift shop. We also have a subsidised gym that offers a variety of equipment and exercise classes, as well as a five-aside football pitch.
Within its 101 acres, Macclesfield campus is dedicated to science, technology and manufacturing excellence. We seamlessly blend scientific knowledge, state-of-the-art technology and advanced manufacturing expertise in a cohesive environment where the energy and pioneering spirit of our people thrives. The potential in our science is amazing. Macclesfield is where science becomes medicine.
*The Department - Pharmaceutical Technology & Development (PT&D)*
In PT&D, we believe that nothing is impossible. We combine people's technical knowledge and understanding, with their talent and drive to design, develop and optimise synthetic routes to deliver the active pharmaceutical ingredients and formulate these into the drug products to deliver medicines to our patients in a sustainable, commercially viable way. We believe in innovation and continuous improvement, working closely with colleagues in academia and across industry, to ensure that we apply the newest technologies and principles in the processes we develop.
*If you're looking to capitalise on your education and to start your career as a Scientist, then this could be the role for you!*
*The Role - What you'll do*
As a Process Engineer you will work closely in cross-functional teams to develop, optimise and scale-up processes to deliver robust and sustainable drug substance and drug product manufacture.
* Provide engineering expertise to the development and optimisation of chemical or formulation processes, to achieve robust and sustainable processes for delivery medicines to patients. This includes laboratory experimentation, modelling and simulation and assessment of the results obtained
* Carry out scale-up manufacturability assessments of processes to ensure right first-time scale-up, technical transfer and future viability
* Work closely with our Contract Manufacturing Organisations (CMOs) across the globe, providing engineering input into process development and the accommodation of processes into manufacturing facilities
* Drive learning from manufacturing and deliver process improvements which can be implemented in future manufactures
* Solve problems arising during the manufacture or process development
* Champion and drive sustainability of processes with respect to environmental sustainability, efficiency and cost
* Work with our colleagues in Supply Chain, to provide engineering input in technical discussions with our suppliers
* Develop external contacts (industrial and academic) to bring learning and alternative process engineering science into AstraZeneca
* Apply technical knowledge to improvement projects and evaluate new technologies / processes, ensuring Best Available Technology (BAT) is assessed and implemented
*What you'll need*
*Essential Skills and Experiences:*
* A PhD or 2:1 MEng degree or higher in Chemical Engineering
* A well-developed understanding of unit operations such as mixing, distillation, liquid-liquid extraction, isolation and drying and their dependency on scale and equipment
* A broad knowledge of process equipment and technology
* A rational approach to problem solving, and an ability to make judgements based on sound reasoning
* Strong collaborative and communication skills
*Desirable Skills & Experience:*
* Experience working in the Pharmaceutical or Fine Chemicals Industry
* Experience of chemical or formulation process development, scale up and / or technical transfer
* Experience of working across skillsets (e.g. chemists, analysts, formulators, statisticians)
* Ability to use modelling software (e.g. Aspen, DynoChem, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Matlab, gProms) to support process understanding
*What can you expect?*
This role will introduce you to process engineering science and its industrial applications, and will give you the opportunity to work within Process Engineering teams and alongside other skillsets. You will be involved in a variety of challenging and exciting projects. You will experience laboratory experimentation and pilot scale manufacture; use modelling and prediction, to design and optimise chemical or formulation processes, technology development, and technical knowledge transfer to commercial manufacture. In addition, you can expect;
* A comprehensive training programme tailored to your individual needs, supporting your development of technical and leadership skills
* The potential for opportunities to broaden your experience across R&D and Supply Chain
* A competitive salary and benefits and a mentor to support you towards IChemE chartership
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
*So what's next?*
*To apply, please ensure that you include both a CV and a Cover Letter with your application. Please include your motivations for applying for the opportunity, together with the detail as to why you think that you are a good match for the role.*
The application closing date is *Sunday 24th October 2021*.
We are planning for first stage assessments to take place in early to mid-November, with the final assessment stage taking place during mid-December 2021.
As part of the application process for some roles at AstraZeneca, candidates may be asked to complete a series of online games, created by Pymetrics, to assess certain candidate qualities to help evaluate potential match for the position. If the Pymetrics process applies to this role, you will receive an email invitation with additional information following application. Pymetrics will not be used solely in our decision-making process but will help us gather additional insight.
*These roles are based at our Macclesfield Campus in Cheshire, UK. Please note that we are unable to provide relocation support or financial assistance to support relocation, for these positions.*
*Close Date:* 24.10.21