Apprentices must be given the opportunity to build, develop, analyse, identify and implement solutions and use technology with increasing levels of responsibilities within their specialist area throughout the programme.
- We deliver transformation across a broad range of external facing services, such as the Apprenticeship Service
- This role is an ideal opportunity for someone with a keen interest in software development
- You will be working in a team and on assignment within possibly multiple projects during your apprenticeship programme
- You will have the opportunity to upskill your current interest in software development by working alongside other developers and attending training courses
- We are a Microsoft stack technology house so any knowledge of .Net, C# would be very beneficial
Main responsibilities and deliverables of the post:
Day-to-day you will work with the team to design, create and improve new and existing products, platforms and transactions across the department.
- Spend a substantial portion of time shadowing others
- Work with other developers to write code and tests
- Undertaking testing
- Creation and on-going management of desktop instructions and communications
- Measuring progress against Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and Service Level Agreements (SLA)s
- Provide project support
- Monitoring service risks and issues
- To ensure new developments comply with the Government Digital Service (GDS) standards
- Develop, release and refine code to deliver prototypes and services
- Work closely with the project team to ensure that all development outcomes meet our users' requirements and our software standards
- Work with design and user research colleagues to ensure that technology options are appropriately researched through proof-of-concepts and prototypes
- Support sprint demos and iteration show and tells
- Engage with the user community and key stakeholders to listen, understand, engage and persuade
- Liaise with solution designers to ensure that all development outcomes either adhere to or inform project intentional architecture and intentional design
- Provide second and third line technical support for our live services
- Work with the project team to ensure that all development outcomes meet the agreed definition of done at a sprint, iteration and project level
- Take a test-driven development approach, attaining a high level of code test coverage and ensuring that all unit testing is achieved at compile time through continuous integration
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Can respond to the business environment and business issues related to software development
- Can operate effectively in their own business's, their customers' and the industry's environments
- Can apply the maths required to be a software developer (e.g. algorithms, logic and data structures)
Desirable skills/any prior knowledge of the following would be an advantage:
- C# or ASP.Net
- Version control systems such as Git
- Cloud computing environments like Azure or AWS
- Unit testing or Test Driven Development
- Any existing knowledge of Microsoft technologies and cloud platforms would be beneficial
- Candidates should be committed to completing an apprenticeship
None specified.Future prospects
This is an opportunity to have permanent employment and the opportunity to complete a higherapprenticeship alongside it.
Once completed, there are opportunities for promotion and other learning career paths.Things to consider
Due to the current COVID situation, we are working in the office 2-3 days a week.
The office is based in Coventry.
In order to be eligible to apply for the role, you must not have a similar qualification or degree to that of this apprenticeship.