This role will involve working to support our high throughput biology team where we look to discover small molecules that correct disease biology, understand how they are working and optimise them towards drugs. The role will entail the understanding and use of proteins and cell-types that drive disease biology.
Salary: £17,500 per annum
Holiday Entitlement: 28 days plus bank holidays
Qualifications Required: A minimum of 80 UCAS points from a minimum of 2 A-level subjects including either Chemistry or Biology (or equivalent, e.g. BTEC) and an additional Science or Maths
Location: Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Working Hours: 40 hours per week. Monday to Friday with 1 hour unpaid lunch breaks
Duration: 39 months
Start Date: January 2022
Interview Date: W/C 22nd November 2021
Closing Date for applications: 3rd November 2021
The Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship will be embedded within our Biology Department where we undertake research to discover therapies for serious diseases. The successful apprentice will need a character that is reliable and diligent, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work undertaken.
In particular, this role will involve working to support our high throughput biology team where we look to discover small molecules that correct disease biology, understand how they are working and optimise them towards drugs. The role will entail the understanding and use of proteins and cell-types that drive disease biology and undertaking measurements and experiments using state-of-the-art scientific equipment and robotic automation. You will be imbedded within a wider organisation that is dedicated to drug discovery and benefit from the passion and knowledge of your colleagues. Regular discussions, talks and presentations from within and outside of the organisation will allow you to learn about and understand disease biology, the drug discovery process and how medicines work.
Understanding and working to strict safety and ethical guidelines is paramount to this role. The apprentice will be expected to work both individually and as part of a laboratory team. With appropriate time, training and experience, they will be able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and recording of the work that is undertaken. They will be proactive in finding solutions to problems and helping identify ways to improve processes.
At the end of the Apprenticeship, the Apprentice will be able to:
- Prepare for and perform laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods relevant to the activities of the laboratory
- Apply knowledge of underlying scientific principles in laboratory-based experimentation and implement new processes according to the literature or input from colleagues
- Demonstrate and explain the principles of laboratory techniques and scientific experimentation to contribute to the development of scientific technical projects
- Develop and apply a theoretical knowledge of the advanced science and technology required to progress in the job role and relevant area of specialism
- Understand the business environment in which the company operates including personal role within the organisation, ethical practice and codes of conduct
- Work safely within a laboratory environment, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment and risk management systems
- Promote and ensure the application of quality standards relevant to the workplace
- Work autonomously to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form
- Undertake continuous performance improvement within the scientific and technical environment
- Use creative thinking and problem solving to challenge assumptions, innovate, make new proposals and build on existing ideas
- Plan and prioritise tasks, review and evaluate progress against objectives and investigate alternative scenarios
- Communicate effectively using a full range of skills: speaking to a scientific and non-scientific audience, active listening, professional writing, professional body language, scientific presentation
- Demonstrate reliability, integrity and respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters, including appropriate use of social media and information systems
- Interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Understand the impact of work on others
- Manage time effectively, being able to plan and complete work to schedule
- Able to handle change and respond to change management processes
- Take responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases.
We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, our corporate headquarters is now located in Boston’s Innovation District, and our international headquarters is in London, United Kingdom. We currently employ >2000 people in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia with nearly two-thirds of our staff dedicated to research and development.
Vertex’s Oxfordshire Research Centre is dedicated to the discovery of transformative medicines for several serious rare diseases. A team of 150+ multidisciplinary scientists work together to discover and optimise new chemical entities in state-of-the-art laboratories.
To be eligible for this position you will need;
- 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) grade A*-C (4-9) including Maths, English and Science
- You must have gained a minimum of 80 UCAS points from a minimum of 2 A-level subjects including either Chemistry or Biology (or equivalent, e.g. BTEC) and an additional Science or Maths
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good ability to multitask
- Problem solving skills
- Good numerical and IT skills
- Attention to detail
- Teamworker and considerate to members of team and wider organisation
- Highly motivated and drive to develop oneself
- Demonstrates reliability and integrity
TRAINING TO BE DELIVERED
Level 5 Technician Scientist Standard.
- Training to be provided will be a mixture of on-site training, e-learning and block release with Kent
- FdSc Applied Bioscience (Foundation Degree) with potential to progress to BSc (Hons) Degree in Applied Bioscience
- Training to be part of contracted hours making up the working week
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship you will be eligible to apply for other positions within the business. The training will expose the apprentice to a wide range of skills and competencies which would make them well placed for further study or suitable for many job opportunities in the life sciences sector.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
- Please ensure that you currently live within or can relocate to a commutable distance of the site
- The individual will be working within a laboratory environment and must therefore adhere to site dress code procedures and personal hygiene standards during testing activities (e.g. correct use of PPE such as laboratory coats and glasses; and removal of all jewellery and make-up upon entry into controlled clean room areas).
- The individual will be required to handle hazardous materials (e.g. chemicals, microorganisms) and so must adhere to the relevant procedures.
- The work pattern involves day and shift working dependent upon the needs of the business.
- All applications to be made through Cogent Skills Recruitment – Cogent Skills will be the direct employer for this Apprenticeship and you will be hosted by Vertex