Our Product Support Engineering Degree Apprenticeship Programme caters for those who are interested in the hands on elements of engineering. Over the 5 and a half year programme you will be trained to become a Product Support Engineer, as well as an integral part of the organisation.
Looking for a great start to your career in technology, earning and learning on a professionally accredited, award-winning scheme? We are looking to recruit the experts of the future on our nationally recognised, award-winning Apprenticeship Programme.
The organisation has a long history of training apprentices, and also evidence of progression of apprentices post completion of their schemes into senior and critical roles. Apprentices have gone on to reach the highest levels in the Company - to management level and beyond!
Leonardo's five and a half year Product Support Engineering Degree Apprenticeship provides a wealth of learning and development opportunities. By the end of the scheme trainees will have completed a Level 6 Degree (BEng) in Aeronautical Engineering.
Leonardo represents a unique opportunity for a career-minded person to have the best of both worlds; a challenging role with career development prospects and a quality of life that is hard to equal.
As one of the leading helicopter manufacturers in the world, Leonardo Helicopters is part of the multi-national Leonardo Group of world class engineering companies. Leonardo Helicopters designs, develops and manufactures an unrivalled range of the most advanced helicopters, rotary wing technology, also developing mission and performance critical systems. Our helicopters are used extensively in civil and military roles worldwide. Primary operations are in the UK, Italy, Poland and the USA.
Apprentices follow a structured placement programme designed to ensure broad experience is gained in the required competences. Apprentices work with skilled individuals in each work placement to learn the required skills, knowledge and behaviour.
What you will do
Apprentices will work towards becoming a Product Support Engineer on completion of their apprenticeship. Post-apprenticeship there are possibilities to progress through the grading structure and adopt additional responsibilities.
Our Product Support Engineers are primarily office based but frequently work closely with aircraft, customers and vendors, resolve customer issues and conduct analysis to ensure that future developments reduce the cost of ownership for our customers and increase aircraft availability. In each placement the apprentice will be taught the tools and methods used along with some projects to develop his/her learning. Whilst on these placements, there will be opportunities to engage with customers and suppliers (when applicable). Placement selection will be flexible to match the longer term aspirations and interests of the apprentice, along with the needs of the business.The Apprenticeship will start with an Induction into Leonardo, followed by a Trainee team building event at an offsite location (incorporating all 2021 Trainee starts). There will also be a Yeovil College Induction to ensure that apprenticeship requirements and expectations are fully established.
Working with world-leading specialists, you will increase your technical skills and capability, and develop your academic and practical understanding of the diverse world that is manufacturing & supply chain.
The structure of the Apprenticeship programme will be as follows:
- Year 1: Full time at Yeovil College to complete a Level 2 Competence qualification in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering (practical/workshop based) and start a Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Aeronautical Engineering (knowledge/classroom based). There will also be some Enrichment activity.
- Year 2: Work placements at Leonardo Helicopters (4 days per week) and starting the Level 4 Competence (work related) qualification in Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing. Attend Yeovil College (1 day per week) to complete the Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Aeronautical Engineering.
- Year 3: Work placements at Leonardo Helicopters (4 days per week) and continuing the Level 4 Competence qualification in Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing. Attend Yeovil College (1 day per week) to start the Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering.
- Year 4: Work placements at Leonardo Helicopters (4 days per week) and completing the Level 4 Competence qualification in Engineering Technical Support (or equivalent qualification). Attend Yeovil College and Plymouth University (minimum of 1 day per week) to start Level 6 top up Degree (BEng) in Aeronautical Engineering.
- Year 5: Work placements at Leonardo Helicopters (4 days per week) and completing the Level 4 Competence qualification in Engineering Technical Support (or equivalent
- Attend Yeovil College and Plymouth University (minimum of 1 day).
What we are looking for:
- Leonardo values people that look to always develop throughout their career and along with an eager willingness to learn, a successful apprenticeship with Leonardo involves a drive to deliver results, sometimes from your own initiative, patience and problem solving as well as a need to comply with safety and process compliance at all times. We also view dependability to the programme and learning objectives very highly
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Practical hands-on engineering skills (though these will be developed)
- Interest in engineering and aircraft
- Time Management
- Attention to detail
Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as "SC") for our business.Desired qualifications
- 96 (240 pre 2017) UCAS points or above at A-Level standard or equivalent, to include mathematics plus at least one further STEM based subject such as Physics, ICT, Computing, Electronics
- A GCSE grade B/5 in mathematics, plus five GCSEs at Grade 4/C or above including English Language and Double Science or equivalent qualification
- Grade requirements for mathematics, English and Science have to be met, however Science at a Level 3 (or grade D) can potentially be considered if the applicant has completed another relevant qualification i.e. BTEC Level 3 Engineering
Leonardo values people with a passion for technical analysis, judgement and problem-solving. We reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
Things to consider
- Competitive starting salary
- 25 days holiday and ability to earn flexi-leave
- Pension scheme (Contributory)
- Cycle to Work initiative
- Employee Discount Scheme
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don't delay - these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates