Exciting minds with our R&D Data Science graduate programme
This role is based within Research and Development (R&D).
Help us use data to uncover answers and deliver insights that can lead to new transformational medicines. Education required:
BSc or MSc/PhD in Computer Science, Maths, or any Scientific or Engineering discipline with a strong numerical and computational component. Start date:
September 2022 Other requirements:
Willingness to work at GSK's R&D hub in Stevenage. Application deadline:
We accept ongoing applications and will close this vacancy once we have enough applications, so it's recommended to apply as soon as possible. Assessment Centre date:
Late November/Early December* Please apply only for one Future Leaders or Graduate Programme role in the UK Want to solve some of the world's biggest health challenges?
With over 300 years of innovation, we're a science-led global healthcare company that discovers, develops and manufactures innovative medicines and vaccines. Join us and help millions of people do more, feel better, live longer. We're looking for leading scientists of the future in R&D Data Science for Medicine Design and Biopharmaceutical Development
Are you ready to use data to deliver results that amplify our science? If so, bring that enthusiasm here. Together we can generate new insights that increase the probability of successfully creating transformational medicines for patients using advanced analytics, data science and machine learning. Develop your career
In Medicine Design and Biopharmaceutical Development, we design and deliver novel small and large therapeutic molecules for the next generation of transformational medicines. We will be hiring into multiple roles across Medicine Discovery and Biopharmaceutical Development.
If you're a graduate with the desire to create data solutions for the design and delivery of medicines that revolutionise treatment for patients, these roles are for you.
Discovery roles will give you opportunities to work with scientific teams operating advanced antibody and protein engineering platforms and performing high-throughput pharmacological and biophysical screens. You will be leveraging state-of-the art structural biology as well as working with computational modelling experts, data scientists and data engineers to design and deliver data pipelines and platforms that increase the probability of successful discovery of novel transformational medicines.
In the development roles, you will work with groups responsible for de-risking and accelerating biopharmaceutical assets into clinical manufacture and onward late-stage development. Using data generated from state-of-the-art scale-down, high-throughput process and analytical technology you will deliver deeper understanding of cell line and molecule quality in our process design space, enabling the smarter identification of commercial cell lines and developability de-risking of transformational biopharmaceutical molecules.
On completion, you will have had the opportunity to develop key skills in data science along with experience working closely with research and development scientists to succeed as a Data Scientist in Medicine Design or Biopharmaceutical Development. What will you do?
Tailored training - and great career progression
- Interact with scientific business partners to develop testable hypotheses and deliver data analysis that enables decision making at pace in medicine design and development
- Influence scientific business decisions using data to answer specific questions
- Collaborate with business and tech partners to evaluate and implement new data solutions
- Develop skills to perform analysis on multiparametric datasets to progress medicine design and development while gaining hands on experience using state-of-the art platforms and capabilities
We'll tailor your training and development to suit your talents and ambition, as well as our business needs, setting you up for success in your chosen niche. The skills you learn on our Data Science Graduate programme can be used across many areas of our business. There's no limit to how far you can go with us - it's up to you to prove yourself. You'll be excited by the thought of:
- Opportunities to operate in multidisciplinary teams and deliver real impact
- Developing exceptional skills in data science, visualization and scientific communication
- Exposure across key areas of medicine design through three rotations in Computational Sciences, Biopharm Discovery and Protein, Cellular and Structural Sciences
- Learning how to integrate complex protein structure, pharmacological and biophysics data from a range of sources to deliver analytics that enable decision making in medicine design
- Exposure to the pivotal interface between biopharmaceutical discovery and development to quickly progress to clinical manufacture.
- Learning how to de-risk and accelerating biopharmaceutical assets into clinical manufacture and onward late-stage development.
- Passion for the design and delivery of transformational medicines
- A 'disruptive' mindset, proposing innovative approaches to challenging scientific problems
- Experience using numerical/computational methods for quantitative data analysis
- An understanding of how to incorporate scientific principles into data analysis
- A proactive, self-motivated and flexible approach with a talent for multitasking and adapting to change
- A gift for building strong relationships with key stakeholders
Our Data Science Graduate programme is designed to accelerate the development of graduates who don't have significant previous professional work experience in the area to which they are applying. Of course, many graduates who join the programme have worked while studying or after graduation. If you've already developed substantial experience working in a professional role in your sector, while you would be able to apply for this programme, you may also want to look at direct entry roles in our businesses, as these may be the best way to build on your existing skills and expertise and develop a career at GSK. Benefits include:
- A salary of GBP30,600
- An annual bonus based on company performance
- Access to healthcare and well-being programs, pension plan membership, savings programs, time off and childcare support
- Employee recognition programs, which reward exceptional achievements
- Long-term incentives through shared ownership link your rewards to our longer-term performance
- On-the-job experience and formal and informal training and development, delivered through a mixture of coaching, mentoring and formal training programs
The recruitment process for this role will include an online problem-solving and coding assessment using the HackerRank
platform. This will include problem solving questions that may be answered using any common programming language as well as basic database questions that require the use of SQL. Candidates may wish to familiarise themselves with the platform and these topics in advance. #ResearchAndDevelopmentFLP We're 100% open to all talent We're 100% open to all talent - whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it's the right thing to do.