What will the apprentice be doing?
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Visit sites & survey buildings/installations with senior engineers
- Learn to report findings
- Support engineering team in producing design documents & drawings using AutoCad and Revit
- Attend meetings & work in teams, alongside MEP Engineers, Building Users, Architects & Structural Engineers
- Use modelling software to examine building thermal properties & help visualise schemes
- Attend college/uni to further qualifications
- Read up and self learn to help support your development
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- BEng(Hons) Buildings Services Degree Apprenticeship with UWE, Bristol
- Courses are day release. Usually one day a week on site.
- Depending on the level of qualification already held, degree course is 3 or 5 years.
- A Level students will need to get a C or above in A Level Maths to gain entry to UWE.
Following a successful apprenticeship, the candidate will be degree qualified, have several years project experience and be able to progress their professional qualifications to become a Chartered Engineer CEng.
Engineers follow the industry professional route set out by CIBSE which takes them through from Junior, Intermediate and Senior Engineer onwards to become an Associate and hopefully a company Director in their future career path.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness, Confident, self motivated Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent Maths, English, Science (Grade 5 and above) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science especially Physics (Grade C/D) Desired Things to consider
This is a mainly office based design role using 2D and 3D design software. A requirement for strong Maths understanding is key to enable you to identify anomalies. You will be expected to visit site and meet clients in meetings so confidence is also key. Great written work will be required in order to present strong reports and specifications.