At Next Distribution you will be working towards a Supply Chain Warehouse Operative Level 2 Apprenticeship standard over the course of 15 months.
Our teams are passionate about providing a high-quality service to our customers. Every day will create new challenges and we are looking for someone who can deliver the care and attention that we bring into everything we do at Next.
As a Warehouse Operative Apprentice, you will be offered full on-the-job training so no need to worry if you have never worked within a warehouse before! In addition, the apprenticeship training will underpin your development and provide an excellent platform for progression in the future. All of our Senior Managers started in warehousing.
- Although you will start at one of the Dearne sites, you will be trained at both. They are next door to each other so don't worry about any travel.
- Dearne Valley Boxed (DVB) is predominantly a retail site with a lot of automation. That's a lot of robotics and fast moving lines. 80% of all stock you see in store comes from DVB. You will be trained on all parts of the retail operation on both the process of handling goods coming in and preparing goods for store replenishment.
- Dearne Valley Pallet (DVP)is our biggest home product warehouse. 90% of all our home products, excluding sofas, both retail & on line come from DVP. Your Training here will predominantly be on the line picking & packing. If you are 18+ you will also be trained to drive Mechanical Handling Equipment.
- Your days tend to fly and it is a physical job, so this is no boring office role.
Warehousing these days is not as simple as it used to be and our senior teams at both sites will spend time with you to explain.
1. How it all fits together Warehouse in terms of getting products to store/customer.
2. How we forecast seasonally
3. Daily planning of operations
4. Warehouse work flows i.e.. how many areas of the warehouse, and hands handle an individual customer order
5. All the areas of the Business you may want to build a career in the future; Transport, Engineering, Loss Prevention, IT and Systems, HR, to name a few.
We want you to get the most from your apprenticeship:
- You will have a Team Manager to support you through your day to day activities, offer you advice and support your development
You will also have the support of a Team Coach who will help train you on the different areas of the warehouses
Don't forget you will also have your Apprenticeship Trainer who will help you with your learning too
You will be allotted time to spend at home working on your apprenticeship, along with lots of practical on the job training from our Manager
This apprenticeship with Next is just the beginning. Not only will you be a part of a secure and growing business but with the apprenticeship training programme, you will have all the skills you need to develop a career with us. We want this apprenticeship to be your first step on a career with us. Once you have completed it there are roles working as a Team Coach, training and developing new people coming in. Alternatively you could apply for roles as an Engineering Apprentice or as a Trainee Team Manager. 70% of all our Team Managers were promoted from within.
In addition to this, we provide:
- A competitive hourly salary
- Hourly bonus incentives
- 25% discount on all Next merchandise
- 70% discount on branded items in our staff shops
- Amazing offers on holidays, cinema tickets and attractions through our corporate scheme
- Free uniform, free onsite parking and a subsidised canteen - open for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Alongside your day to day work and training, you will be working towards your Warehouse Operative L2 standard qualification which will be delivered through a blended social learning experience. This includes but is not limited to 1-to-1 visits from your regional trainer, self-study, and remote visits.
The apprenticeship is a structured, learner and employer focused development programme which is designed to support you on your chosen career path. Once you are signed up onto the apprenticeship programme, you will be able to get students discounts through an NUS card and you will be earning money while studying towards a nationally recognised qualification.
Health and Safety
It will be your responsibility to:
- Ensure a flexible and common-sense approach to Health & Safety notifying Team Managers and/or other staff members of any type of hazard which cannot be dealt with by you
- Ensure through good communication and personal example that the objectives of the Next Safety Document are fully understood
- Ensure any accident or near miss is reported immediately to a Team Manager