When? Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week. Shift work may be a requirement.
Where? Align Compound, Chalfont Lane, Hertfordshire, WD3 9XN
For how long? 21 months
How much? You’ll earn £15,000 a year, plus you will receive all the training and support you need to become a qualified Level 3 Materials Technician.
You’ll join Socotec as an apprentice Laboratory Technician for a fixed period of 21 months.
You’ll also devote about 20% of your time to working towards a Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship. You’ll be trained by an expert tutor from Tiro, who will make sure you develop the knowledge, skills, and work habits you’ll need to succeed in your apprenticeship.
In your role you’ll have the opportunity to develop your skills by training as a Materials Testing Technician apprentice, aiming to achieve a Level 3 NVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities (LATA). You will be working with the site laboratory team where you will testing construction materials used for the project construction, these will include concrete, aggregates and Earthworks.
We are looking for you to develop in to the role by undertaking an agreed structured training program of study in house so that in time you will develop an understanding and knowledge of several different types of tests on concrete, soils and aggregates in the laboratory.
Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Carry out testing in the laboratory to assess compliance with the relevant British, European or site specific specification
- Maintain high standards of work and compliance with UKAS accreditation requirements
- Comply with the site quality system for materials testing laboratory, developing an understanding of materials reporting
- Produce factual reports that inform the project teams and managers within agreed deadlines
- Maintain equipment calibrations and notify the lab manager of any defects requiring attention
- Proactively communicate within the team to ensure effective performance
- To comply with laboratory and site safety procedures
- Responsible for maintaining training records
Who we’re looking for:
- Good IT skills – Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages e.g. Excel.
- The ability to use your initiative
- Ability to lift 20kg samples
- An interest in construction, science and laboratory testing
- Proactive in identifying problems and defects
- Be willing to work outside of a pre-defined scope to help the team move through initiatives
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Committed to self-development
- Accurate and meticulous person
- Creative and innovative
- A strong team player
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- Completed an intermediate (level2) apprenticeship in An Engineering OR Construction Discipline (or equivalent)
- Full UK driving license (due to travelling to different sites within the role)
Once you’ve completed your apprenticeship, you may be offered a more permanent job with Socotec . If not, your qualification will open doors elsewhere in a related field. Or you might decide to move on to a higher-level apprenticeship where available.