About the programme
Our Graduate Quantity Surveyors will complete a series of inspirational placements over three years. The projects, challenges and responsibilities you take on will complement and directly support you on your Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) towards becoming a chartered member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
Senior Commercial Managers within National Highways will offer mentoring support and help you plan your placements so you can take control of your development – as you act as an ambassador for Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management at National Highways.
Once you have completed our 3-year flexible Programme, you will have gained Quantity Surveying skills that are in demand around the world. Together with experience of working on equally impressive infrastructure projects, this is a great first step on your commercial career at National Highways.
Moreover, you will have access to a wealth of new opportunities to explore right here, as you continue to make improvements to society by helping create the Strategic National Road Network that is ever-more efficient, effective and above all safe.
Our quantity surveying programme offers:
- Professional development, training and additional CPD learning to help you gain chartered status as a quantity surveyor with Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- A combination of workshops, formal training and ‘hands-on’ experience to develop your technical, commercial and consulting skills
- Opportunities to grow and develop ‘on-the-job’ through a variety of internal quantity surveying placements across National Highways working on ‘real-life’ projects
- Supervisor, APC counsellor and mentoring support to help you identify and reach your goals
- A dedicated line manager to provide you with encouragement, direction and career planning support to steer you into a permanent role with us at the end of your programme
- Network support opportunities to engage with other Graduates throughout the company
- Guidance and support through a dedicated HR Early Talent team
- Support after the programme for those who are looking to move their careers to the next level
This role is to start in September 2022.
About you – to be eligible for our Graduate Quantity Surveying programme you will have or expect to gain:
- At least 2:2 in a RICS accredited degree discipline such as Quantity Surveying or a Masters in Quantity Surveying (RICS accredited) or are expected to obtain one by the programme start date.
- Ability to demonstrate team working across multiple disciplines or teams with an enthusiasm and passion to succeed
- Commercially minded and analytical thinker with knowledge of quantity surveying principals, procurement and tendering techniques and construction and civil engineering contracts such as the NEC suite of contracts.
- Proactive personality who meets deadlines and prioritises where necessary and actively takes control of their own development & learning needs
- Confident communicator and good listener that can absorb complex or technical information including legal and contractual text.
- Clear and concise writer, able to effectively distil complex and detailed topics
- Embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) practices in everything you do
National Highways operates, maintains and improves England’s strategic road network made up of motorways and major A roads. These vital arteries that connect the Nation’s roads account for a third of all traffic, carry two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and are relied on by 98% of the UK’s businesses.
Increasing levels of investment are leading to all manner of innovations. But with 4,300 miles of motorway, 20,000 bridges, underpasses, retaining walls and other kinds of structures, our work continually increases in scale and complexity. Not least as we bring £27.4 billion-worth of projects to life, boosting capacity, tackling congestion, and improving safety.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.