About the programme
As an apprentice you will join our experienced in-house legal team in the General Counsel’s Directorate, delivering a high standard of professional service and client care. You will either be assisting;
- the commercial legal team in dealing with a wide range of general contract and procurement law queries, for example engineering and construction contracts, IT and technology contracts, funding agreements, public procurement, dispute resolution and a range of commercial legal queries or;
- the planning legal team in dealing with a wide range of general planning and highway law queries, for example drafting and advising on agreements under the Highways Act 1980 and New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. Assisting lawyers from the planning team with various matters including public inquiries and examinations and town and country planning queries. Undertaking any other general legal research as required.
Our apprenticeship programme provides on the job training over a five-year period whilst working towards CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice and/or CILEx Level 6 Professional Higher Diploma in Law and Practice. The projects, challenges and responsibilities you take on will complement and directly support you on becoming a Chartered Legal Executive. The Senior Lawyers within National Highways will offer mentoring support and help you with your development and obtaining your qualification.
This role will start in September 2022.
- you must hold (or be predicted) a minimum of five GCSEs (including English and maths, at grade C/grade 4 or above); and
- level 4 qualification, which can include A levels, NVQ, and BTEC / or relevant experience
- you’ll evidence the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
- you’ll evidence the ability to work to timescales, prioritising where necessary
- you’ll evidence the ability to give and receive information effectively
- you’ll evidence the ability to write clearly and concisely
- you’ll evidence you desire and passion to pursue a career within the Legal Sector and National Highways
The General Counsel Directorate encompasses the company's legal team providing legal services and the Company Secretariat function. They provide an effective legal service to the company and ensure that requests for legal advice are sourced though the correct channels. The Company Secretary team work to support the Board, Chief Executive and its committees; ensuring that the company's corporate governance framework and culture meets good practice expectations and complies with the Companies Act and other corporate compliance requirements.
Why you should Join us
At National Highways, safety is our number one priority. It is one of our core values, as well as a behaviour we expect from our people.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
Working for us, you’ll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely.
We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We’re always seeking to improve our performance, and want you to be at the heart of that - helping us all get home safe and well.
Please complete your application as soon as possible as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date which is 8th December 2021.