Looking for a great start to your career in Systems Engineering earning and learning on a professionally accredited, award-winning scheme? We are looking to recruit the experts of the future on our nationally recognised, award-winning Apprenticeship Programmes.
You will be working within world class facilities regardless of which site you are based. There may also be opportunities to travel between the Company's UK sites to meet with colleagues, customers and suppliers.
How this role fits in:
Leonardo's four year Systems Engineering Degree Apprenticeship programme is looking for people who understand the importance of communication, who are able to work well as part of a team and also on their own initiative. You will have the drive and commitment to work through difficult problems to find the right engineering solutions.
You will study with one of our academic partners for completion of a Level 6 Bachelor Honours Degree (BEng) through a mixture of work based learning and attendance at University. This Apprenticeship aligns with the current edition of the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) at Incorporated Engineering (IEng) and Embedded Electronics & System Design standards (ST0151).
We need people who understand the importance of our Customers and are ready to commit to working in the business, whilst also committing to a 4 year degree programme. At the end of the programme, you will work as a highly qualified member of our Systems Engineering community involved in a variety of world leading products.
You will be working for a company at the cutting edge of technology, as well as enhancing your skills and business acumen, opening up your horizons to the diverse and dynamic ways to apply your academic learning in a practical environment.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking.
Who would suit this role?
Leonardo values people that look to always develop throughout their career and along with an eager willingness to learn, a successful apprenticeship with Leonardo involves a drive to deliver results, sometimes from your own initiative, a patience for problem solving, as well as a need to comply with safety instructions and clear process compliance at all times. We view commitment to the programme and learning objectives very highly.
Note: This Apprenticeship assumes the candidate has little professional engineering experience and is NOT suitable for candidates who already have an engineering degree.
Key Responsibility Areas:
You will be required to regularly attend University. You will:
- Learn skills and develop knowledge in engineering process & practices; analytical methods; regulatory and quality requirements; systems design and integration & test
- Develop business behaviours in communication, interpersonal skills, planning, leadership and professional commitment
- Practice the full engineering lifecycle to become a professional Electronics Engineer
- Learn a wide range of skills ranging from how to design Microwave/RF systems to beyond 20GHz, model cutting edge antenna designs, and develops digital design skills on mixed signal Digital and RF designs. All towards executing high performance signal processing, communications and control for our products
- Learn how to assess your work in our well-equipped laboratories in order to develop robust designs that will function reliably in harsh environments to enable decades of use
- Work closely with engineers across multiple disciplines to solve problems.
- Working to timescales
- Work as a contributory engineering team member
- Undertake day-to-day engineering activities with some guidance and support
- Ask for support where appropriate and learn from more experienced team members
- Contribute to engineering team decisions and understand why such decisions are made and their relationship to project success criteria
- Explore new experiences and opportunities to learn within the engineering environment
- You will be assigned a Mentor to support your journey to achieving professional status and invited to attend group based events, which will provide you with an opportunity to network with your peers and share best practice
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Ability to achieve high performance
- Develop customer focus
- Able to work together
- Demonstrate self-awareness and confidence
- Want continuous improvement
You must have (as a minimum) the following qualifications:
- 3 x A Levels (A*- C) one of which must be - English, maths or a technical related subject
- An alternative Level 3 qualification, which must be an engineering or ICT related subject
- GCSE (Grade 9-4/A*- C) in maths and English
Leonardo values people with a passion for technical analysis, judgement and problem-solving. We reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
Things to consider
- Competitive starting salary
- Annual incremental pay increases
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Pension scheme (Contributory)
- Cycle to Work initiative
- Custom Working Model -supporting health and wellbeing and Inclusion and Diversity
- Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity, you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally, this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as "SC") for our business
- A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22 billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around
- Don't delay -these roles attract high competition so apply nowto avoid disappointment. When applying on HireVue, please select Apprentice degree STEM
- Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates