Job Description: Assistant Accountant
- Reporting to a senior member of staff, the responsibilities of the role will include:
- Produce an accounts working file in line with Haines Watts standards;
- Produce an accounts summary and list of discussion points for the manager;
- Work within a budget agreed at the planning stage;
- Prepare VAT returns for a number of clients, managing the requests for information and submission of returns;
- To professionally represent the firm and its interests in dealings with clients and other professionals;
- To attend training to further develop and maintain your technical skills;
- To achieve good passes with all professional and advance examinations, where applicable;
- To plan and control your professional work for the firm's clients within the firm's standard procedures. You will be able to identify basic planning opportunities;
- To identify and act upon any opportunities you see within the professional work you do to sell more services to existing and prospective clients;
- To have and maintain a working knowledge of the computer-based programs that you will be required to use to undertake your job and will report any requirements for assistance or training to your line manager;
- You will keep up to date with internal policies, procedures and announcements;
- Prior knowledge of producing self-assessment tax returns would be an advantage.
- You may be asked to be involved with other tasks, as required and understand that this job description is not an exhaustive list of what is required and may be changed from time to time.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Experience with using Iris, Sage, Xero and QuickBooks is preferred but not essential.
- Develop a team atmosphere through hard work, calmness, patience and consistency.
- Confident in front of clients and others.
- Retains a formal and professional manner, reflects on difficult situations and stands back from people and remains unemotional in order to resolve problems.
- Considers problems as a challenge.
- Adopts a calm approach and makes time for people.
- Takes ownership for managing own development, seeks extra responsibility, striving to always go the extra mile, preparing well ahead of appraisal meetings.
- Has an eye for detail, being consistent in approach, incorporating checks to ensure accuracy, standing back from the detail ensures all tasks are completed to a high standard.
- Able to juggle a number of jobs, whilst demonstrating excellent time management skills to ensure all deadlines and expectations are met.
- Be prepared for meetings, communicates with line manager regularly, listens and takes on board views of others, is proactive, ensures that tasks are followed through, loose ends are tied up and the job is completed.
- Keeps systems and procedures up to date.
- Consistency and the ability to tie up loose ends and finish a job are important along with the ability to understand the wider client objective.
- You should be able to work well within a team environment and have the ability to work well under pressure to ensure deadlines are being met.
- 5 GCSEs A-C
- 2/3 A-Levels - Relevant Areas advantageous.
- Previous experience desirable
Opportunities to progress as professional qualifications are passed.Things to consider
- Free company car park on-site.
- 22 days holiday plus 8 Bank Holidays
- Pension contributions Employee 5% Matched by Employer 3%
- Flexibility on start time/finish times by 30mins as indicated in working hours section.
- HW flexible rewards scheme including various benefits relating to Critical illness cover, life insurance, pension, Financial benefits, Health and Wellbeing, Protection and Lifestyle.