Electro-Optic 10 Month Placement, Stevenage
Our Electro-Optic (EO) department works on projects that cover the whole product lifecycle from research and development through to full product design and production. The role covers Electro-Optic Seekers & Sensors technologies with applications including systems design work, hardware and trials.
You will be able to perform highly scientific technical investigations, provide problem assessments and design solutions within a culture of innovative thinking.
You will develop expertise in infrared (IR), optical and laser-based sensors, and how these interact with other subsystems to form part of the wider missile system. Hands-on laboratory testing, integrating and designing industry leading hardware and system components, as well as modelling and simulating complex systems.
You will gain an understanding in the following areas:
- Design and build of optical prototypes for test and evaluation
- Research and development of novel EO techniques and solutions
- Modelling and simulation of the sensor, target and environment
- Subsystem specification and performance evaluation
- Support to all MBDA UK systems that incorporate EO technology
- Data capture using IR technology in laboratory and trial scenarios
- Design and test of laser based optical systems and Directed Energy Weapons (DEW)
Through the placement you'll get to apply your university learning to our projects and impact their direction. We'll set you varied and stimulating work, from computational modelling through to lab and field trials and with projects at different phases of the product lifecycle. Our experienced technologists can offer you support and mentorship through your placement and you'll get to work with other departments across the wider technical community, including customers and suppliers.
- Currently studying towards a Degree in applied physics, electronics, engineering or any other related subjects
- Good presentation and communication skills
- A passion for applying your university learning to real-world engineering and technology projects
Why choose us?
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.