Starting in September 2022, during the scheme you will complete a number of placements around the business, designed to be flexible to support your career objectives and development. These placements will give you the chance to utilise and build your skills across the engineering disciplines as well as gain knowledge of the wider business, such as Project Management, Sales and Marketing, Commercial and Operations.
You should be expecting at least a 2.2 level bachelor's degree in an Engineering or STEM subject. Masters and PhD candidates equally welcome. Any previous work experience such as internships or work placements is likely to be a bonus.
You need the ability to gain security clearance at SC level.
Ability to travel between sites is useful.
As a Graduate Engineer you will join Ultra in one of five Engineering functions: Systems, Software, Electrical/Electronic, Mechanical and Support. A sample of the activities typically undertaken within each function is given below:
* Working with the customer and internal teams to elicit and derive requirements.
* Developing the high-level system architecture for a project.
* Planning and undertaking verification and validation activities.
* Programming of software in high level commonly used languages (e.g. C, C++, Java, HTML, C#, Python, QT) and low level, more rarely used languages (e.g. assembly, delphi, ada).
* Development of unit test frameworks and implementation of automated unit testing.
* Production of formal software documentation throughout the whole lifecycle (planning, design, test, transition, manuals, etc.)
* Algorithm definition/verification based on the application of established digital signal processing approaches
* Selecting appropriate algorithmic techniques based upon performance requirements
* Developing algorithms with implementation in mind (segmentation/simplification/parallelisation)
* Modelling algorithm performance under a wide range of realistic underwater conditions
* Modelling sonar/acoustic performance against customer requirements
* Analysing Trials data, assessing against system performance requirements
Electrical / Electronics
* Developing schematics for electronics to meet system requirements and functional interface specifications.
* Selecting components appropriate for the application and environment being considered.
* Working with the operations and systems teams to ensure the manufacturability, reliability and maintainability of electronic equipment designs.
* Undertaking 3D CAD modelling to design cost effective and producible mechanisms and structures while producing 2D technical drawings as part of a production drawing pack.
* Supporting stress and thermal analysis activities to ensure designs are fit for purpose.
* Selecting materials and advising the Operations team on assembly techniques and manufacturing.
Support Solutions & Services
* Working closely with end-users, the customer and the supply chain to ensure the delivery of support and training, globally, at short notice.
* Utilising both business and engineering skillsets, alongside our Project Management team, by undertaking a wide variety of work in support of our in-service products.
* Influencing our design teams to ensure maximum reliability and supportability of our products and developing support proposals in coordination with our Sales & Marketing team.
During the graduate scheme, you will progress your engineering competence and will have the opportunity to work towards Chartered Engineer status. At all times throughout the scheme, we will provide you with excellent support, including providing you with a mentor and coaching during each placement by senior team members.
At Ultra, we are committed to supporting and developing future engineers and we have plenty of STEM & Outreach activities for you to get involved in, such as careers fairs, school or university talks, and paid volunteer days. These activities also bolster your communication and presentation skills aiding your progression to Chartered Engineer status. Ultra has a strong diversity, equality and inclusion programme so don't worry about fitting in: we value you as you are