BP Laboratory Technician Apprenticeships
As a global energy business, we lead the world in powering a cleaner, more sustainable future. And as our business is so diverse, so are the types of people we employ: from engineers and geologists out in the field, to IT professionals, research scientists, financial traders and retail workers.
Because of this, our teams come from all kinds of different cultures and backgrounds – so a career at BP is always going to be exciting, challenging and full of incredible opportunities.
You will be working in the main technology center for bp Applied Sciences which is the development hub for Castrol products such as those under the EDGE, MAGNATEC and GTX brands as well and commercial vehicle and motorcycle engine oils. The Technology Centre is also the main hub for the development of EV fluids for the next generation of mobility solutions support the transition to net Zero. It’s a very exciting time as bp transitions to an integrated energy company and how we develop the elements supported by laboratory activities at the technology center underpin this transition.
Study for a Laboratory Technician Standard – Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3), L3 Foundation Diploma in Applied Science
This apprenticeship has been designed for anyone wanting to work as a Laboratory Technician within a range of sectors; chemical, pharmaceutical, biotechnology and nuclear. Apprentices will carry out technician duties such as calibration, quality control, preparing reagents etc.
Elements of the Apprenticeship
- Health and Safety qualification, Behavior and Vocational Competence logs
- Knowledge qualification i.e. BTEC Level 3 Foundation diploma in Applied Science
- End Point Assessment with 3 key components
- Synaptic Assessment Test
- Vocational Competence Discussion
- Scenario Based Case Study
Join our Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship to:
- Develop a great foundation in laboratory operations and management
- Learn what it takes to develop and blend lubricants for engines, hybrids and EV’s across the Castrol product range.
- Develop the skills and knowledge for laboratory and operational best practice in one of bp’s largest technology centers.
- Work in a multi-disciplined team as part of a core business within bp
What to expect:
As a lab technician apprentice, you will learn:
- To work safely in a lab environment and to follow quality procedures.
- Regulatory requirements of the industry and lab.
- Technical skills to fulfil their role.
- How to produce, analyse and interpret data including the application of statistical techniques.
- To communicate scientific information effectively.
- To use appropriate scientific methods to identify the causes of problems and produce solutions.
You will get 20% of your working time for off-the-job training (for example one day a week), this could be day-release for training/learning, continual professional development activities or study time.
The apprenticeship typically takes 2 years with an end point assessment. There may also be the opportunity to continue to further levels of the qualification.
Discover a range of opportunities:
You will be working at the bp Technology centre in Pangbourne, just outside Reading. The main working area will be within the blending team to put together formulations for testing and analysis on site and offsite. The size of sample can be from 200g to 600kg. The smaller amounts are blended in our laboratory and the larger volumes are blended in out pilot blend plant facility also on site.
There is the opportunity to learn about best laboratory practice, design of experiments, materials handling and analysis techniques. Rotation through different departments is also an option should you be interested in analytical methods and testing as well as learning more about the development process for Castrol products.
On the same site we have the development teams of technologists and experts who manage programs to deliver new products to the market, where the blending team is fundamental to the delivery of this. Also on site are our EV testing team, marketing teams, finance teams and Product management teams, so there is plenty of opportunity to learn about how the business operates and what it takes to bring new products to the market whether that be new engine oils or new to the world EV fluids.
So who are we looking for?
- We are looking for self-motivating and energetic people to join the team and develop their skills alongside their study.
- A keen interest in science or engineering.
- A good foundation in practical skills and being used to hands on work combined with attention to detail is key.
- Willingness to learn new skills from precise laboratory practice to forklift truck driving can be offered.
- Minimum GCSEs required at Grade 4 (Grade C) or Higher in Maths, English and double or triple science.
Online application - this is your chance to show us what motivates you
SJQ - a set of untimed questions will look to see how you match up with BP values
Online tests - these will check your numerical, verbal reasoning and error checking abilities
Assessment centre - a motivation and values-based interview, a group exercise
Offer and feedback - a firm offer or guidance on how to succeed next time
To apply, you must be aged 16 or over at start of the programme in September 2022. If you’re studying GCSE’s, A-levels or completing further education, you must be due to complete your qualification/s in 2022 (we’re unable to progress applications for students who will be part way through their studies when the programme starts). You'll also need to have: Minimum GCSEs required at Grade 4 (Grade C) or Higher in Maths, English and double or triple science.
This programme is designed for school leavers and other individuals who do not have a degree. If you’re studying or have a degree, please apply to our student and graduate opportunities.
Details of any travel required as part of your apprenticeship will be clarified during the selection process. We’re happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments you may require.
The opportunity will be based at our offices in Pangbourne