Overview of the Advisory & Consulting service line
The Advisory & Consulting Service Line is a rapidly growing, award winning, global group of successful teams working together to present a go-to-market differentiator whilst delivering the highest quality of work for our clients.
If you are successful in securing a role on our training programme you will join a team of 600+ innovative specialists across a variety of sectors including Financial Services, Industry & Services, and Public Services with consultative expertise in Risk & Management Consulting, Internal Audit, Actuarial and all aspects of the Tech & Digital space. Our Advisory teams are at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and creditor advisory services; all with the aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a range of financial issues as one collaborative team. Job purpose
We are moving to a new hybrid working model, so you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, and visiting client sites when required. With the potential of travel outside of the UK, depending on government guidelines.
As part of the Quantitative Solutions team you will interact with banks, insurance companies, large corporates and service companies on a variety of projects. During the internship, your typical daily duties will include:
- Research and development as part of the master's dissertation (if it applies);
- Financial instruments pricing: vanilla and complex derivatives for all asset classes (interest rates, credit, commodities, equity, inflation???);
- Model validation for large investment banks;
- Accounting standards implementation review on subjects of importance to the industry (financial instruments pricing, hedge effectiveness tests, CVA / DVA, credit risk models);
- Development and/or review of market and credit risk management model (Value at Risk model, stress test); Technological monitoring, tools development for our internal library;
- Have an awareness of the various services provided by Mazars.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and research skills;
- Strong communication skills and ability to build relationships;
- Takes ownership of assigned tasks and adopts a pro-active approach;
- Ability to prioritise workload and produce accurate and timely work;
- Respects differences in people and values diversity of ideas;
- Actively seeks to enhance own expertise and knowledge;
- Demonstrates drive and commitment to self-development;
- Professional approach to work and clients i.e. respect for individuals, and ethical conduct.
Strong academic performance is important, so we know that you're ready to take your professional qualifications. However, we understand things don't always go to plan - so if you don't meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- On track to achieve of have obtained a master's degree in a quantitative discipline e.g. mathematics, statistics, quantitative finance;
- Programming skills (e.g. Python, R, VBA, C++);
- Obtained a 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We offer the opportunity to complete your master's dissertation in conjunction with your internship. The dissertation will be completed under the supervision of experienced quants in our team. We offer a range of quantitative topics that meet universities' technical requirements for a master's dissertation.
Examples of previous topics include pricing exotic instruments, using machine learning techniques to forecast returns for asset allocation, and improving models used for market risk management.
We operate a number of in-house training courses which will give you the technical insight to keep up with changes in legislation and case law, both in the UK and worldwide. You will be given a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track. If you are made permanent after the internship there will be an opportunity for you to study towards a professional qualification if desired.