- Uphold the highest standards of EHS and maintain a good safety culture through compliance to EHS standards, procedures and rules within the electron microscopy section
- Support laboratory steward in the basement.
- Communicate with scientists to ensure appropriate sample preparation in discussion with the analyst
- Ensure close chain of custody for samples in electron microscopy queue.
- Provide training to scientists on the polishing wheels when they want to do their samples
- Eventually provide first line support to ad-hoc users of JEOL scanning electron microscope and Keyence optical microscope
- To plan and conduct the preparation of samples for analysis and be able to judge that samples are fit for purpose
- To regularly manage the electron microscopy queue system
- Take primary responsibility for arranging the collection and disposal of hazardous waste from electron microscopy
- Take primary responsibility for maintaining adequate stocks of consumables for electron microscopy
- To prepare and ship samples and hazardous materials to other JM sites.
- To carry out any other duties that are within the employee's skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Demonstrates organisational skills
- Willingness to comply with Health and Safety guidance
- Desirable Knowledge of analytical techniques
- Careful and diligent approach to work, ability to work with small samples
- Ability to work within a team
- Capability to communicate with people of all levels
- Desirable Knowledge and experience of good laboratory practice
- A high degree of technical problem solving
A Level or equivalent in a scientific subject is essentialFuture prospects
The Apprenticeship is 36 months with the opportunity to continue to work with Johnson Matthey upon successful completion and also continue into a Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship.