What will you be doing?
You will predominately be site based supporting design teams with engineering solutions on construction projects initially within our Build or Sports and Leisure sectors. The role will require a fundamental understanding of all site based activities and will involve an element of site engineering to include basic use of surveying equipment.
Use and administration of the company documents management system together with document control will be an important part of role together with review of associated project planning conditions and specifications. The interpretation of drawings and associated amendments requiring subsequent distribution amongst the project team will also be part of the role. Further duties on site will include supervision of specialist contractors and active involvement with recording, control and reporting of the progress of works. Awareness of Health, safety, quality and environmental aspects of a construction project will be developed alongside the Engineering and Design Assistant fuction.
The main duties and tasks of a Construction Site Engineering Technician are:
- Dimensional control of construction projects
- Assisting design teams with civil engineering solutions on construction projects
- Supervision of specialist contractors
- Contribute to the control of health and safety on construction projects
- Recording, control and reporting of progress on a construction project
- Contribute to the minimisation of the environmental impact of construction projects
- Control the quality of works on a construction project
Comprises the construction of 3 single storey warehouse/production unit of 563,839 square feet gross internal area, having a clear height to underside of haunch of 18m metres, with internal three storey office accommodation of 17,500 squarefeet, external hub offices of 8,000square feet, gatehouse of 270 square feet and all external and site works including hardstandings, car parking, landscaping, services and drainage.
The role requires the use of own car and will be based around a number of sites and offices.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Problem solving/Computer literate/effective
- Communicator/knowledge and keen interest in site engineering
- Strong team player but also able to work well on own initiative
- Positive attitude/motivated/enthusiastic & reliable/ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
Minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent.Grades 9-4/A*-C inclusive of maths, English and science.Future prospects
This apprenticeship programme is very much the start of an exciting career in the industry with wide ranging prospects which may span a number of roles. Further progression to L6 (Degree) apprenticeship in either Design/Construction Management or Civil Engineering will be reviewed during the apprenticeship.Things to consider
Work will be based across a number of sites and will require extensive daily travel. Majority of work will be outdoors working from a temporary site office. The role will be physically demanding and requires lifting and carrying of survey equipment around site. Full personal protective equipment will need to be worn whilst working on site.