This is your chance to work with world-class scientists and engineers to make sure the materials we use are as innovative and safe as possible. Building on your previous academic studies, you can expect to gain an understanding of different materials and their uses, failure investigation studies, research and development, process control and laboratory-related improvement activities.
You’ll also get to work on a variety of different special processes used during component manufacture, such as chemical processing, laser processes, machining, welding, heat treatment, casting, forging and various coatings. This will give you a broad overview as you split your time between our offices and high-tech laboratories, providing a mix of both practical and theoretical experience.
Initially, you’ll gain foundation engineering skills and knowledge through time spent off-the-job in an engineering skills workshop. You’re going to be working with experienced engineering instructors, completing both written and practical activities.
You’ll then undertake a variety of three to six-month placements in our manufacturing laboratories and specialist materials teams, working with our experienced and knowledgeable people to learn how the special processes we use operate.
What you’ll do
Typical placements could include:
- Assisting our suppliers to deliver products and materials within specification
- Statistically analysing and modelling material properties to help Design Engineers understand how they behave in extreme environments
- Conducting forensic failure investigations by carrying out metallurgical analysis into a product or material to understand how its performance can be improved and higher product safety can be achieved
- Mapping out various technical processes and improving them to reduce cost and improve delivery times
- Testing materials to understand alloy composition
These placements will allow you to work on a variety of laboratory equipment from initial microscopic component preparation through to Scanning Electron Microscopes. This practical experience will be supported by theoretical learning as you undertake a degree in a Materials or Manufacturing discipline.
What you’ll need
You’ll have two A Levels (or equivalent) at a grade C in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering (this must include maths or physics or both) plus one further grade C in any subject, or, an Engineering extended BTEC at DDM. You’ll also need 5 GCSEs including GCSE Maths at a grade 5/B and GCSE English Language at a grade C/4 plus 3 others at grade C/4.
Every bit as important as your academic achievements, however, are the personal qualities you bring to the role. You need to show real passion for the work you do. And be confident in your abilities, naturally curious and eager to build on what you know.
Beyond that, you've got to be open-minded, collaborative and creative in your approach to problem-solving. And, above all, you've got to be comfortable sharing your own ideas, your own aspirations and your own perspective on the world.
What you’ll get
- A competitive salary
- A competitive pension and 33 days’ holiday per year (including bank holidays)
- Support from expert mentors and career coaches
- A BSc Honours degree in a Materials or Manufacturing discipline
- Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace & Aviation Engineering (foundation competence)
- Level 4 Diploma in Engineering & Advanced Manufacturing (development competence)
Who we are
We’re one of the world’s leading industrial technology companies, and it’s all thanks to our people. They’re the reason we’ve created a welcoming, inclusive and supportive environment where you can do your best work and feel like you belong.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer cutting-edge technologies that deliver clean, safe and competitive solutions to meet our planet’s vital energy needs. We believe in the transforming potential of technology to protect our planet, secure our world and explore our universe. That’s why we’re helping lead the way in the transition to a net zero-carbon future for us all.
Find out more and apply at careers.rolls-royce.com
At Rolls-Royce, we recruit apprentices based on merit, and regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, race/colour/nationality/ethnic or national origins, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable legislation.