£9 per hour
16 month FTC with potential to go permanent following completion of apprenticeship
The primary responsibility of the HR Apprentice is to ensure the smooth administration of the HR Department and to provide effective administrative assistance to the HR and Recruitment team.
The HR team consists of a Head of HR in London, HR Manager in each of the Harrogate and Manchester offices and Talent Acquisition Manager and an existing HR Assistant in Manchester. The HR Apprentice will work across both HR and Recruitment functions and be based in our Manchester office.
The HR Apprentice will be expected to execute their duties in accordance with the policies and procedures as directed by the HR team. The post holder will ensure that confidentiality and compliance is adhered to at all times, e.g. within GDPR, ISO 27001 etc.
The post holder is the first point of contact for many incoming calls and email enquiries and they will be expected to ensure that calls and emails are dealt with in a professional manner, thus promoting the firm and the department in an informed, positive and efficient way.
More specifically, duties will include, but not limited to the following:
- Assist Stakeholders across the firm in drafting Business Cases and seeking appropriate input and approval
- Creating and advertising vacancies on the firm’s ATS, intranet and website as directed by TA Manager
- Daily checking of recruitment Applicant Tracking System (ATS), shortlisting, screening and forwarding candidates to hiring managers
- Responding to all applications, including speculative applications appropriately with feedback, offers, rejections etc.
- Dealing with correspondence received from candidates and recruitment agents as appropriate.
- Arranging interviews; booking meeting room bookings and sending formal invites to candidates and agencies in line with the firm’s processes
- Assisting with the Graduate recruitment process, logging applications and logging E&D data etc
Employee Process and Procedures
- Undertaking the complete starter process; issuing offer letters, contracts and starter packs, RTW checks and starter notification forms
- Coordinating firmwide induction training.
- Coordinating the probation review process for all new starters
- Undertaking the leaver process; issuing acknowledgement of resignations and leaver letters; ensuring the return of the firm’s assets.
- Ensuring all relevant departments are informed of all new starters, movers and leavers.
- Creating and maintaining digital staff files
- Ensure sickness absence records on the HR database are accurate and up to date.
- Be the first point of contact to deal with holiday and sickness absence queries.
- Arranging RTWI’s with HRM or Head of HR as appropriate.
- Monitor sickness absences and produce monthly reports to the HR team identifying patterns and areas of concern
- Assist the HR team in arranging Occupational Health referrals, liaising with employee and providers as appropriate.
HR Database Administration
- Ensuring database is up to date with movers, leavers and joiners.
- Prepare monthly and adhoc reports for the Management Board.
- Updating holiday entitlement, i.e. carry over, pro-rated entitlements etc.
- Processing of invoices i.e., presenting invoices for signature to Head of HR.
- Assist the Head of HR with annual budget preparation.
- Processing routine mortgage and employment references, season ticket loans etc.
- On-going updating of staff database including salary, pension, maternity leave, name, address and job title changes etc.
- Assisting with reviews and renewals e.g. performance reviews, salary review, practising certificates, life assurance and private health insurance renewals etc as directed by Head of HR.
- Processing firm benefit requests, e.g. joining private health, cycle to work schemes etc.
- Filing and retrieval and despatch of files to/from remote storage as appropriate.
- Assisting with pension filing and administration.
- Assisting with preparation for staff socials and parties.
- Producing analytical reports using Excel spreadsheet on a regular basis, as directed by Head of HR.
And such other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time.
Advertised working hours are from 09.00 – 17.00 but staff may be required to work additional hours, sometimes at short notice, in order to deal with work in hand. Hours worked in addition to the basic working week will carry entitlement to overtime, as detailed in the overtime policy operating in the firm at any particular time.
Please note, this job description is not contractual and may be amended or revised from time to time, to meet the needs of the firm or the department. It will be reviewed periodically.
As a HR Support Apprentice with BPP, you will complete the HR Support Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship, which is aligned with the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). Upon completion you will be awarded the CIPD Foundation Certificate and you will be able to apply for Membership of CIPD.
The apprenticeship will be delivered through a blend of live online learning, pre-recorded lectures, and face to face inductions and masterclasses.
5 GCSEs at grade 4 including English and Maths or equivalent qualifications.
Skills & Personal Qualities Required
- Strong IT skills including Word, Excel and Internet browsers
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Knowledge and experience of PeopleHR would be advantageous
- A personable, highly organised individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- You will have excellent attention to detail and be able to juggle competing priorities
- Due to confidential and sensitive data held within HR, compliance with GDPR and ISO 27001 is required at all times