Our Degree Apprenticeship programme combines the very best of our Graduate Scheme, which has received repeated accolades from the 'Institute of Mechanical Engineering' (IMechE), and our Higher Apprenticeship programme.
Over the six year apprenticeship students will earn a BEng degree in Mechanical Engineering with Manufacturing. This programme will offer the opportunity to gain extensive experience within our on-site production department as well as the design, analytical and wider business areas for which our graduate scheme is held in such high regard.
At the end of the programme apprentices will be at Engineer grade, identical to their peers who have attended university and completed our graduate scheme, and working to become our future Lead Engineers and Design Managers within the business.
Our Degree Apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering with Manufacture will offer successful candidates the chance to complete a fully funded BEng degree whilst earning with a very competitive starting salary.
- For the first four years you will work towards your BEng degree, which is being run in partnership with the University of West of England (UWE) and the University Centre Weston (UCW). In your first year you will work in our onsite apprentice training workshop where you will gain your Performing Engineering Operations (PEO) qualifications and attend UCW who will deliver taught modules.
- Year's two to four will be spent completing placements across the business, with a particular focus on our production environment, where you will learn how we produce the high-quality complex assemblies for which Babcock DST is renowned. During this time you will attend UWE on day release to complete your BEng degree.
- In year 5 you will enter your 'Responsible Position' in an area of the business you want to specialise in.
This programme gives you a broad exposure to our business, including experience in analysis, design, business winning and project management. There are also opportunities to undertake off-site placements at some of our other business units - something which we strongly encourage and support.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Able to communicate well at all levels, both verbally and through formal written correspondence.
- The ability to work well in a team, as well as focus on your own self development.
- A passion for Engineering and Technology.
We want to meet with people who can demonstrate a strong aptitude for and interest in technical-based subject matter. Also, we want applicants able to work in a team, who are self-motivated and are hard working.Desired qualifications
To apply you will need a minimum of 5 GCSEs, all at grade C/4 or above including mathematics, English and a science, or equivalent qualification, plus have or be working towards 3 A-levels in mathematics, physics plus a third subject, for which you are predicted a grade B or above or equivalent qualifications.Future prospects
The aim of the apprenticeship is to prepare you for a permanent Engineering role working as an Engineer within Babcock DST. We are also committed to supporting further development of our ex-apprentices through further education and technical training.