Whilst on the scheme, you will first of all follow the Construction Site Engineering Technicianapprenticeship standardfor the first two years of your course; you will then continue on to study the Civil Engineering Site Management Apprentice Standard, which is a formal degree apprenticeship, for three years. Successful completion of the course means youwill graduate with a University of Exeter degree, a level 6 apprenticeship and IEng status.
The majority of your tuition will fall within four, two-week residential periods, delivered by the University of Exeter. You'll also be expected to study elements of your degree during time at work.
Whilst at work you will be assigned a mentor, who will guide and support you through your day-to-day work activities;you will also be enrolled onto an internal development programme to support you to attain the knowledge, skills and behaviour that will help you successfully achieve your apprenticeship.
As you progress through your apprenticeship you will gain more knowledge and experience. With this, you'll be expected to:
- Ensure that safe systems of work are in place on site and that all employees adhere to them
- Support with the translation of design information to construction teams so they can construct the project effectively and efficiently
- Monitor and review the productivity on site and advise accordingly so that the project is completed on time
- Ensure that the project is completed to the specification and quality needed by the client and be the main interface between all stakeholders
- Provide support with key activities on site that takes into account cost and contract constraints
Ensure that the site supports and considers the impact on both the environment and local communities which we serve.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- The ability to work to deadlines
- An effective communicator, both oral and written with a good command of English language
- Analytical skills
- IT literacy - competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications
- Driving license - we have a number of sites the candidate needs to be able to get to, not all of which are accessible via public transport
- Ability to demonstrate enthusiasm for engineering in the Highways and Construction sector
- Ability to engage people at all levels and work within a team
- Ability to manage the responsibilities of both work and study
- Reliable and punctual
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude and desire to take respsonsibility
- A willingness to learn and develop new skills
- The ideal candidatewouldhave level-3 qualifications equivalent toAAA-ABB at A-level, with maths grade Band another Science subject at grade B
- Further details about entry criteri onto the apprenticeship can be found on the University of Exeter's website:https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/degreeapprenticeships/programmes/civilengineering/#entry-requirements
Things to consider
- Once you've completed the apprenticeship, you'll have a full BEng Civil Engineering Site Management degree from the University of Exeter, as well as 5 years of experience with Eurovia. Alongside this, you'll have the opportunity to work towards gaining professional accreditation with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
We are committed to providing a safe, healthy and productive working environment for our staff and for those who come into contact with our work, and as such we operate a drug and alcohol policy. This means all offers of employment will be subject to passing a drug and alcohol test which will take place either prior to joining or on commencement of your role. We also conduct random testing during employment
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates