Become a part of our ever-growing apprenticeship scheme and take advantage of the opportunities we provide to develop your skills.
You will learn and obtain experience in the fundamentals of Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) in Product Design and Development, primarily through training at AMRC Sheffield in your first year full-time, and through onsite placements second year onwards. You will continue to study part time.
Throughout the duration of the apprenticeship, you will be taught, and will put into practice, engineering skills which will be key for a junior engineering role within Ideal Modular Homes. Your apprenticeship will last for a minimum of three years, during which time you will rotate around the wide range of engineering departments across our business.
Full time study at the AMRC Training Centre during your first year with business projects during holidays and part time study for subsequent years of the apprenticeship to achieve Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) Product Design and Development.
From the second year of the apprenticeship, you will undertake a series of objective training placements in different departments working on initial design all the way through to manufacture and distribution.
The placement rotation will give you a broad view of the business and help identify your strengths for a role in one of the following areas:
- Product Design - combining knowledge of design, engineering, and manufacturing processes to create innovative new manufacturing ideas and approaches
- New Product Integration - Design and implementation of new production lines and specification of process design and engineering
- Assembly and Manufacturing Engineering - Front line problem solving and improvement projects in the manufacturing areas
- Work with cross functional teams to deliver complex manufacturing projects
Where applicable, you may also experience business functions outside of Engineering, such as HR, Customer Service and Sales in order to gain a full understanding of our business. Regular time for self-reflection and review, and one to ones with your manager will be in place.
You will also be able to access, and utilise, our comprehensive Associate training courses and materials. This will support you to regularly review your strengths and areas for development, and for two-way feedback.
As an apprentice you will also:
- Support and be a part of the IDMH Apprentice Community
- Participate in charity events
- Learn about Ideal Modular Homes' product design and project management of the design process
- Learn how to read and interpret technical drawings and specifications
- Learn how to produce technical drawings and supporting documentation
- Gain a good understanding of the MMC sector
- Learn skills in AutoCAD Revit
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Experience of engineering activities are advantageous but not necessary. This may include: hobbies or voluntary work or previous work experience to Engineering related school subjects
- Good IT skills - a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs is sufficient
- Can do attitude and approach
- An interest in engineering as a subject with the desire to learn and develop
- Strong desire to learn and develop, using open thinking and able to easily adapt to new ways of working
- Confident in getting involved
- Being a team player
- Continuous improvement
- Open to new things/adaptable
- Proactive and able to use your initiative
- Able to prioritise your time to achieve results
- Focus on the End Customer
- Inquisitive to learn and understand
- Can deal with ambiguity - able to make insights from different information and work on different projects
- Understand the impact on the end customer in the role you're doing
- Set High Standards of Performance
- Organised and structured in your approach
- Hard working/conscientious
- Takes ownership of your work
- Ideally able to demonstrate a strong work ethic, e.g. through part time employment and/or voluntary activities
You will need 1 of the following:
- A minimum of two A-Levels at grade Bor above (or equivalent)including a mathematical-based subject and a science, technology, engineering or an additional mathematics-related subject
- An Engineering BTEC Level 3 with at least 120 credits at DM (Distinction Merit) level or above(or equivalent)
- EAL Diploma in an engineering-based subject at D (Distinction) level(or equivalent)
- Equivalent qualifications such as Cambridge Technical Levels at DM (Distinction Merit) or above(or equivalent)
A minimum of 3 GCSEs at grades C/5 or above (or equivalent), including mathematics, English and science, technology, or engineering-related subject.
Candidates with a HND or Foundation Degree (or equivalent) or who have completed the second year of a degree in a relevant subject can be assessed for direct entry onto the 2nd year or 3rd year of the programme (BEng top-up), but 1st year entry or an alternative pathway may still be recommended.
Candidates who have not studied in the UK can submit transcripts for qualifications equivalent to level 3 which the admissions panel will review and may be taken in lieu of the specified qualifications.
Applicants are required to successfully complete the AMRC and employer recruitment and selection process to secure a place on an apprenticeship programme.
If you are uncertain about whether your qualifications meet the entry tariff for the degree apprenticeship, please contact the Recruitment Team email@example.com.Future prospects
Completion of this apprenticeship is just the start of your career and can open the door to many more opportunities, such as Engineering Management and Project Engineering positions across a range of sectors.Things to consider
During the first year you will be required to attend the University of Sheffield AMRC Training Centre in Sheffield, full time for an initial block of study.
One Friday per month you will return to your workplace.
After the initial block training you will attend the AMRC Training Centre for one day a week to undertake the knowledge study.
The remaining four days will be spent in company learning on the job.