Purpose of the role:
Data Analytics & Visualisation Apprentices are based in TD3 (Technology, Digital, Data, Delivery) as part of our Apprenticeship Programme. This combines traditional academic learning with work-based learning and project work, making it easier to apply new knowledge and skills in the workplace environment.
Apprentices undertake a two year course in Data Analytics & Visualisation with Ada, the National College for Digital Skills. The course is aligned to the Level 4 Data Analyst Standard leading to a Foundation Degree validated by the Open University.
Apprentices may be eligible to continue onto a third year with TD3 if they pass work assessments and their Leve 4. The third year aligns to a full degree. Third year in TD3 will have expectations including successfully delivering small projects on their own, taking ownership of data engineering and reporting activities and collaboration in a professional manner.
Apprentices will shadow roles in a number of functional teams to broaden their knowledge and experience, including:
- Data & Information Governance
- Software Engineering (including DevOps and QA)
- Application Support
- Infrastructure Operations
- Service Management
The course includes a work-based project, successful completion of which is mandatory. This will take place in workplace where theoretical skills will be enhanced with practical experience.
Key Responsibilities are as follows:
- Must consistently do well in modules, assessments and exams in their two-year Foundation Degree Data Analytics & Visualisation course as a requirement for this apprenticeship
- Attend full time work with the Agency in accordance with the block release schedule agreed with Ada
- Actively participate in the Agency's Apprenticeship Programme activities
- Design, develop, publish, and schedule Power BI reports/dashboards and solutions using multiple datasets/ data sources
- Develop and execute database queries to analyse an evaluate datasets to provide business insights
- Translate business needs into functional and data requirements to produce technical specifications and data models
- Perform testing and validation of data for reports and dashboards
- Assist in the delivery of Power BI training sessions
- Check and triage the ServiceNow queue to resolve Power BI issues
- Shadow and assist Agency colleagues in functional teams to broaden knowledge and experience
- Comply with the Agency's policies and procedures
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
Candidates must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
You have awareness of data sources, data organisation and storage. Data modelling, data cleansing, and data enrichment skills.
You have awareness of conceptual, logical and physical data modelling and can develop knowledge of data cleansing and standardisation.
Data visualisation. You have awareness of presenting data in a clear and compelling way, using graphical representations and data visualisations. Statistical methods and data analysis skills.
You have awareness of statistical methodologies and data analysis techniques.
The above skills relate to a number of entry level roles in the Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) Profession Capability Framework, such as:
- Apprentice Data Analyst
- Apprentice Data Engineer
- Apprentice Data Scientist Experience Element: Ownership and initiative Experience of taking ownership of a body of work or an incidence and continue working through to completion.
Problem management Experience of investigating problems and helping to find an appropriate solution. Commitment A track record of delivering against committed activities and persevering through challenges and changing circumstance.Personal qualities
Learner You are inquisitive, you seek out new information and look for new ways to develop yourself. Problem Solver You take a positive approach to tackling problems and find ways to identify suitable solutions. Focussed You strive for quality outcomes and excellence in everything you do.Desired qualifications
Candidates must have 5 GCSEs, A*-C or the new grades 4-9, English Language (or equivalent). Candidates must be educated at the minimum of Level 3 (A Level, BTEC, NVQ Level 3).
Candidates must have A Level Maths, A*-B Grade.Future prospects
Apprentices may be eligible to continue onto a third year with TD3 if they pass work assessments and their Level 4.
The third year aligns to a full degree. Third year in TD3 will have expectations including successfully delivering small projects on their own, taking ownership of data engineering and reporting activities and collaboration in a professional manner.Things to consider
The Civil Service recently launched a new recruitment framework called Success Profiles, which has replaced the Civil Service Competency Framework.
Success Profiles are made up of 5 elements: Behaviours, Strengths, Ability, Experience, Technical but it is unlikely that you will be assessed against all 5. Behaviours, Experience and Technical elements will be assessed through your application form, in the first instance.
Assessment: Application form, Interview The Civil Service Code: These core values support good government and ensure the achievement of the highest possible standards in all that the Civil Service does. You can find out more about our values, standards of behaviour and rights and responsibilities in The Civil Service Code. Civil Service Values: Integrity putting the obligations of public service above personal interests Honesty being truthful and open Objectivity basing advice and decisions on rigorous analysis of the evidence Impartiality acting solely according to the merits of the case and serving equally well governments of different political persuasions.
Agency Values: The code is reflected in the agencies values, which state that we will strive to be: Innovative Proactive Impartial Evidence-based Open Trustworthy Benefits: Modern offices in East London and Hertfordshire , Flexible working, 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, rising to a maximum of 30.
Civil Service Pension Scheme, Interest-free season ticket, loan or bike loan Workplace Wellness, an employee assistance service, Access to shopping discounts through the My Lifestyle employee benefits portal, Great training and development opportunities, Discounted rates for civil service sport and leisure organisations