Markel International is an international insurance company with offices in 17 countries, across the UK, Europe, Canada, and Asia Pacific. Markel International is a division of Markel Corporation (NYSE – MKL), a fortune 500 company.
From insurance to reinsurance to fronting, we help our customers manage life's most complex risks. In each of our businesses, we seek to deliver innovative products and responsive customer service so that we can be a market leader. Markel offers specialty insurance for a variety of niche businesses across the globe.
Our win-win-win philosophy means our employees win by creating fulfilling careers, our customers win by finding protection against life’s biggest risks, and our shareholders win by earning good returns on their capital. This company was born from the belief that life’s greatest ambitions shouldn’t fade in the wake of all of the things that could go wrong. Our culture is guided by a creed we call the Markel Style, which ensures that our greatest qualities endure across the generations of people who have been a part of Markel.
We are looking for the optimists. The visionary problem-solvers who believe that life’s greatest ambitions shouldn’t fade in the wake of all the things that could go wrong. The people willing to work hard together to protect our customers against the biggest and most complex risks, and have fun doing it. It’s a promise to serve others that we’ll hold on to forever, and we’d like you to help us keep it.
The Portfolio Development & Support (PDS) team is a function that sits across all Divisions within the Markel International (MINT) Wholesale business which operates across London and Asian platforms. Its focus is on areas that are critical to the success of a specialty lines insurer: Governance & Oversight, Data, Analytics & Insights, Pricing, Portfolio Management, and Process & Technology.
The PDS team provides support to the following Divisions within MINT Wholesale:
- Cyber writes many differing types of business and industry areas for cyber coverage.
- Energy provides coverage on a worldwide basis for all aspects of upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas activities as well as renewable energy.
- Equine provides coverage for Bloodstock and Livestock risks worldwide.
- Marine provides coverage for liability, hull, war, terrorism, specie and cargo risks worldwide.
- Professional and Financial Risks (PFR) underwrites business worldwide and covers traditional and emerging professional indemnity, management liability, financial institutions as well as specialist risk areas such as patents and libel & slander.
- Trade Credit, Political Risk and Surety (TCPRS) underwrites a variety of trade and investment-related risks using expert knowledge of commercial counterparty and country risks across a wide variety of trade sectors and geographies.
What will you be doing?
Our Underwriting Analyst school leaver programme is a great opportunity for those that don’t wish to go to university. Make a head start in your career and earn while you learn as we provide you with everything that you need to be successful at Markel. You’ll spend your 18-month programme working as part of the technical team that creates and maintains pricing models as well as well as finding insights from our data. This means you’ll be talking to underwriters throughout Markel Wholesale covering everything from cyber to renewable insurance and supporting them in making critical underwriting decisions with the models they use every day. PDS delivers its work by partnering with colleagues across the business so you’ll get exposure to IT, actuarial, and claims teams too. Regularly working on our pricing tools and technology, you’ll become an advanced Excel user and get experience with code as well as getting familiar with other software. You’ll also be working on large sets of data, doing analysis to improve models and support strategic decision making. If you have a logical mindset and enjoy working Excel, data, and technology then this is the role for you!
In addition to on-the-job training, you’ll also be studying towards your Level 3 Data Technician Apprenticeship.
We are committed to you and your career, and so our school leaver roles are permanent roles from day one. Once you’ve completed your programme, we’ll continue to support you and as you develop your career within our PDS team!
Could you be a good fit?
What we look for
- 3 A Levels Grade C or above (or equivalent qualification) achieved or predicted
- GCSE Maths and English Grade 4 or above (or equivalent qualification)
- Proven eligibility to work in in the UK
The Markel Style
Pursuit of excellence
- Consistently provides quality work products
- Adapts behaviour to reflect the style of others to foster effective working relationships
- Finds the most efficient and practical means of overcoming challenges
- Actively looks for solutions to customer problems
- Seeks to further knowledge of customer needs
- Builds relationships with customers and responds to needs by demonstrating tact, empathy and professionalism
- Seeks the best and most direct option to accomplish tasks
- Demonstrates effective organisation skills
- Applies logic and draws accurate conclusions from information
- Helps others succeed
- Approaches change in a positive manner
- Listens for and acts on key information
- Holds self and others accountable to ethical standards
- Takes ownership and accountability for own development
- Shows accountability and resilience in achieving goals