At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. We’re deeply committed to our strategy of being a great place to work. For us, that includes fostering an environment where everyone can be among inclusive, supportive individuals with curious minds.
A company that genuinely follows the science and values individuals at all levels, you’ll be backed and encouraged to speak up, ask questions, and share ideas to push the boundaries of science and continuously learn and explore.
Make the start of your journey a lifechanging one
As part of our Early Talent Programme, you’ll be involved in projects and learning opportunities that have real impact from day one.
Being part of our journey and helping us to provide life changing medicine to patients all over the world and transform lives for the better. Making important contributions and embracing our values to deliver on our purpose. Because regardless of role or level, we all have an important part to play in making a positive difference.
We are offering a site management apprenticeship to be a part of the of the southern capital projects team. The majority of the work will be based in the Cambridge area, but there may be a need to travel to Luton and London for projects in other buildings. Capital projects is a part of the BioPharmaceuticals Research and development business unit.
We can think of AZ’s UK businesses being focused around “Discover, Make, Sell”.
DISCOVER - We have sites across Cambridge (and Whitechapel) and Alderley Park in Cheshire, that are focused on Medicines Development. Our Team support all capital investments across this space, except Alderley Park.
MAKE - Our facility in Macclesfield is the UK home of our manufacturing capability. Our Team don’t support this site, but we have close links to the project team there.
SELL- Our UK Marketing Company – now referred to as AZ UK – is based in Luton and moving to London. They are the sales side of the business and we support these
The capital projects team deliver crucial construction projects. Safely, on time, to a high standard. While limiting the impact to the building users and the science being undertaken. We are a key part of driving the scientific innovation within AstraZeneca
As part of the southern capital project team, you will be responsible for the safe and on time delivery of construction projects within the capital portfolio. This is a chance to be a part of a growing and ever evolving team, who’s work is essential in providing environments in which life changing and life saving medication can be discovered and developed.
You will be involved in the project process from the start on a number of different and interesting projects. From full laboratory and office refurbishments to replacement of large Mechanical and Electrical plant.
- Liaise with key stakeholders on their requirements and explain feasibility of their schemes to become a trusted advisor.
- Work within the current CDM process and ensure this is followed.
- Identify, reduce and manage all statutory and SHE risks associated with the project design and construction phases.
- Ensure AZ safety, health, environment and quality practices and processes are fully embedded in each project.
- Supervise the day-to-day operational aspects of the project(s) “end to end”. Activities to include but not be limited to sub-contractor management and site supervisory duties.
- Work closely with relevant stake holders to ensure effective and efficient implementation of the project(s).
- Ensure customer acceptance is adhered to, in writing and in line with the project plans.
- Ensures project documents are complete, current and appropriately stored.
- Build strong effective working relationships with customers and site teams.
- Develop lasting relationships with client personnel that foster client ties.
- Use sound judgment in all project communication and ensure that key stakeholders including the team, client and management are apprised of project activities in a timely manner.
- Ensure project meets internal and client expectations with respect to quality, budget, delivery time lines, and safety.
- Foster a collaborative relationship with the supply chain and drive forward new ways of working to improve project delivery
Training and Development
AstraZeneca will sponsor you through your Level 4 Construction Site Supervisor at Learning Skills Partnership (LPS).
The apprenticeship combines working, earning a full-time salary, with fully funded part-time learning (on average 1 day/week). This will give you the opportunity to gain a Level 4 Construction Site Supervisor qualification, just as you would if you went to first year university full-time, with the advantage of gaining relevant work-life skills and the excitement of helping to develop new medicines whilst taking your first steps towards a rewarding career.
We truly value Early Talent– their thoughts, ideas and contributions. So throughout the programme, you’ll be encouraged and inspired to speak up, have a voice and make an impact.
Skills and Capabilities
We would be looking for the following attributes from our successful applicants:
- Enthusiastic individuals who are keen to learn and with a genuine curiosity for the engineering infrastructure that supports the science involved in creating new medicines.
- Able to act independently but also to work and contribute in a team environment
- Good organisational skills with an excellent attention to detail
- The ability to work on multiple tasks and understanding how to prioritise
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- A proactive approach to problem solving
Five GCSEs (or equivalent) grades 9 to 4 including maths and English
To have achieved or predicted to achieve a minimum of 2 A levels or a Level 3 qualification (BTEC) which does not necessarily have to be construction related but it would be advantageous
Benefits, open and close dates
To apply for this position, please click the apply link.
Opening date of advert: 24th January 2022
Closing date of advert: 25th February 2022
This is a 2.5-years fixed term contract opportunity based at the Biomedical Campus, Cambridge with a starting base salary of £18,000 + 11% benefits fund + bonus.
Successful candidates will be asked to attend a virtual Assessment day on 19th April 2022
Should you require any reasonable adjustments or accommodations, please let us know on your application.
Start date for the apprenticeship programme is 5th September 2022
These positions are not open to those already educated to Bachelors degree level or above – for which we have specific Graduate Programmes, see our website for more details https://careers.astrazeneca.com/students
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.