At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. In AstraZeneca IT, through technology and data, we transform our company, improve healthcare and positively impact the lives of a billion+ people.
We are passionate about driving technology innovation, continuously improving our IT environment to ensure our internal teams can do their best work and successfully deliver our business goals.
Take the path less travelled and let your rebel spirit soar!
Breaking free from conventional learning, you’ll work on real projects and tasks with serious impact from day one. Encouraging you to be curious and courageous to try new things and take on challenges in an incredibly supportive and empowering team. Collaborating with peers and colleagues with diverse perspectives across our business and guided by expert managers and mentors to achieve your goals and contribute to our shared objectives.
This means being part of our journey to provide life changing medicine to patients all over the world. Because here, regardless of background or role, we all have a part to play in making a positive difference.
In User Experience (UX), we are passionate about driving technology innovation and continuously improving our IT environment through applied research and design to ensure our internal teams can do their best work and successfully deliver our business goals to patients, caregivers and beyond.
We do this through using well-established User-Centred & Design Thinking processes that enable individuals and groups to fully discover and understand problems and then use tools and methods to solve them, creating maximum value for the business.
Our apprenticeship programme is designed to give you a broad understanding of our UX & IT function alongside being involved in a variety of critical activities and projects we are delivering to the business.
During this 4-year programme, you will be embedded in a highly driven and successful User Experience (UX) team in Macclesfield, whilst having the opportunity to interact and work with other parts of the business that will help your applied design, research, psychology and business skills to professional levels and beyond.
Throughout your UX apprenticeship you could carry out some of the following roles:
- User research – both qualitative and quantitative (e.g. lab-based usability studies and surveys)
- Data analysis and report writing of both types of data
- UX and business strategy – e.g. understanding business needs and aligning with UX efforts and tools
- Information architecture – e.g. the design and structure of content and information for digital tools and services
- User Interface & digital product design (the design of mobile and web-based tools and products etc.)
- Research and design into novel technology – e.g. Voice design, Augmented and Virtual reality (AR/VR)
- Applied psychology – e.g. behavioural design and research & applied cognitive and social psychology in product design
So, in one month, you could be a UX researcher, working with a patient, gathering feedback on a digital health tool that the team may have designed; or you may then work with different parts of IT and the business to see how UX can add value and integrate to improve performance through UX training. On another project, as a UX designer you could be designing a business data dashboard to help operations teams make better sense of their functional area and what it means for them. There are lots of opportunities and areas to work in!
Whichever role you perform, you will:
- Build knowledge of your UX & IT area & the customer & user area(s) you are working with, creating new value and impact within the team
- Work with an awesome, global team of specialists in UX who have extensive experience in academia & industry
- Drive your own development, through formal learning and/or experience
- Have the opportunity to build core skills, such as communicating, influencing, partner engagement & management etc.
Training and Development
AstraZeneca will sponsor you through your Bachelor of Science Degree in Digital User Experience https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/apprenticeships/courses/digital-ux-professional at Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)
The apprenticeship combines working, earning a full-time salary, with fully funded part-time university learning (on average 1 day/week). This will give you the opportunity to gain a qualification, just as you would if you went to university full-time, with the advantage of gaining relevant work-life skills and the excitement of helping to develop new medicines whilst taking your first steps towards a rewarding career.
As well as this, you'll be supported on a day-to-day basis with:
- Opportunities to apply your learning in the workplace
- Reasonable time out to attend university and study (during study leave)
- Focussed objectives and goals for the duration of each rotation role
- Further development to support broader learning
- Time with your line manager, mentor, buddy and Early Talent network
- Skills and Capabilities
We would be looking for the following attributes from our successful applicants:
- A strong desire to learn fun, complex rewarding concepts that impact society
- A real passion for people, creativity and design of technology and services
- A genuine interest in psychology and being taught research methods
- Insightful learner interested in “people first over solutions”
- Quick and agile problem solver
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Strong organisation skills
- Demonstrable initiative
5 GCSE’s at 9-4 (or equivalent qualifications) and to have achieved or predicted to achieve a minimum of 104 points at A-level (Grades BCC) or equivalent qualifications.
To apply for this position, please click the apply link.
Opening date of advert: 24th January 2022
Closing date of advert: 25th February 2022
This is a Fixed Term Contract opportunity based at Macclesfield offering £21,000 starting base salary + 11% benefits fund + bonus. (Relocation support may be offered on an individual basis, if appropriate)
Successful candidates will be notified after the closing date and will be asked to attend a virtual assessment day on Monday 11th April 2022.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments or accommodations, please let us know on your application.
These positions are not open to those already educated to Bachelor’s degree level or above in the same areas (UX/HCI/Digital/Graphic Design/Psychology/Social Sciences and related programmes). If you are interested in a Graduate career, we have specific Graduate Programmes, see our website for more details https://careers.astrazeneca.com/student
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.