At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. We’re deeply committed to our strategy of being a great place to work. For us, that includes fostering an environment where everyone can be among inclusive, supportive individuals with curious minds.
A company that genuinely follows the science and values individuals at all levels, you’ll be backed and encouraged to speak up, ask questions, and share ideas to push the boundaries of science and continuously learn and explore.
Make the start of your journey a lifechanging one
As part of our Early Talent Programme, you’ll be involved in projects and learning opportunities that have real impact from day one.
Being part of our journey and helping us to provide life changing medicine to patients all over the world and transform lives for the better. Making important contributions and embracing our values to deliver on our purpose. Because regardless of role or level, we all have an important part to play in making a positive difference.
Our biologics site at Speke, Liverpool is a unique place that brings together research scientists, manufacturing associates, engineers, quality professionals and support personnel. We have the facilities to research, develop, produce and distribute up to 20m vaccine doses a year for the global market. In the UK, our bulk-manufacturing capabilities enable us to supply the nasal spray influenza vaccine Fluenz as an important part of the UK Government’s extended childhood flu vaccination programme. We also test and support the pipeline of the monoclonal antibody products - Imfinzi and Fasenra.
What you’ll do
Within the Operations function at the Liverpool site, the Technical Services Team are responsible for a wide range of activities supporting the Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Process Development and Quality departments. Our main focus is to support implementation of key manufacturing process improvements projects that are critical to improving manufacturing process performance, and we are looking for a Technical Services Apprentice to enhance the team.
The hours of working will be (08:00-16:45 Mon-Thurs, 08:00-13:00 Fri), totalling 37.5 hours per week.
The projects will focus on yield improvements, process simplification, process robustness and waste reduction. Key activities include:
- Supporting coordination and control of study designs within process development batches, from initiation through to completion of technical reports
- Optimisation of production operations by implementing process efficiency improvements utilising Lean tools and techniques
- Liaise, co-ordinate and implementation of technology transfer process changes as recommended by Process Development group
- Provide expertise associated with interpretation of process data and use of statistical tools to identify data trends for further investigation and assessment
- Designing, implementing and updating disposable tubing assemblies to support project and process improvement activities
- Evaluation of Supplier Initiated Changes and impact on the manufacturing process
Training and Development
AstraZeneca will sponsor you through your Engineering Manufacturing Technician (HNC) https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/engineering-manufacturing-technician-v1-0 (L4) at Warrington and Vale Royal College
The apprenticeship combines working, earning a full-time salary, with fully funded part-time learning (on average 1 day/week). This will give you the opportunity to gain an Engineering Manufacturing Technician (HNC) qualification, with the advantage of gaining relevant work-life skills and the excitement of helping to develop new medicines whilst taking your first steps towards a rewarding career.
We truly value Early Talent– their thoughts, ideas and contributions. So throughout the programme, you’ll be encouraged and inspired to speak up, have a voice and make an impact.
Skills and Capabilities
We would be looking for the following attributes from our successful applicants:
- Enthusiastic individuals who are keen to learn and with a genuine curiosity to continuously improve existing manufacturing processes
- Able to act independently but also to work and contribute in a team environment
- Good organisational skills with an excellent attention to detail
- The ability to work on multiple tasks and understanding how to prioritise within a project framework
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- A proactive approach to problem solving and continuous improvement
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) grades 9-4 including English and Science, IT and Maths
- To have achieved or predicted to achieve a minimum of One A-level or equivalent at grade C
Benefits, open and close dates
To apply for this position, please click the apply link.
Opening date of advert: 24th January 2022
Closing date of advert: 25th February 2022
This is a 4 -year fixed term contract opportunity based at the Speke site with a starting base salary of £18,000 + 11% benefits fund + bonus.
Successful candidates will be asked to attend a virtual Assessment day during week commencing 29th April 2022
Should you require any reasonable adjustments or accommodations, please let us know on your application.
Start date for the apprenticeship programme is 5th September 2022
These positions are not open to those already educated to Bachelors degree level or above – for which we have specific Graduate Programmes, see our website for more details https://careers.astrazeneca.com/early-talent
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.