Founded over 100 years ago to manufacture components for horse drawn carriages, Widney has built on this long experience to become a global market leader in the design and manufacture of:
- Vehicle windows
- Vehicle sun blinds
- Telescopic slides
Working in partnership with world class customers and exporting to over 30 countries from its modern manufacturing facility, Widney has built a strong reputation for design, technical support and engineering expertise.
With a global customer base supplying companies in construction equipment, aerospace, banking systems, commercial vehicles and many other market sectors. Customers include CAT, JCB, Volvo and Alexander Dennis.
Widney has built a strong reputation for supplying quality products, as such the company is ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 approved and offers both standard and bespoke solutions on a turnkey basis.
The successful candidate during the apprenticeship will work in all areas of the Widney engineering department including:
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Product development and testing.
During the time spent in each department the apprentice will be part of the team dealing with day-to-day issues and working on longer term projects.
In addition, the successful candidate will work in all manufacturing areas to gain experience and knowledge of:
- Product knowledge of Windows, Slides and Blinds product groups
- Glass bonding
- CNC machining
- Assembly processes
- Paint and pre-treatment process
- Welding and Robotic welding
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to communicate will people at all levels of the business
- Excellent analytical skills and enjoy problem solving with a logical and structured approach
- Excellent time keeping skills
- Self-motivated, hard-working
- Good team worker
- Passion, drive and commitment to complete a 3-year apprenticeship with a genuine interest in Engineering
5 GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including maths and English as well as a science, Technology or Engineering related subject.
90+ credits in an Engineering BTEC at level 3 (or equivalent).Future prospects
Future roles include Manufacturing Engineer, Quality Engineer, Design Engineer or Development engineer. Good career progression to senior engineer and management is available within the company. Things to consider
Flexibility required in relation to working patterns and overtime.