You will play a key part in meeting the needs of customers, consumers, and stakeholders in the changing energy landscape. Through the application of new technologies and innovative design strategies, you will enable the economic and efficient development of the transmission network to deliver maximum consumer benefit. Alongside this, you will ensure compliance with our licensed and engineering obligations are fulfilled to the highest standards.
Our Higher Apprentice roles are fast paced and varied; this gives you the best chance to develop your skills and gain as much valuable work experience as possible. As a graduate on the engineering and asset management programme, you can expect to be involved in any number of the below activities:
- Coordinating theoverall design,developmentandplanning of thetransmission networkto facilitate the low carbon transition and innovate solutionsincluding networkstrategies for the holistic development of the transmission system
- Facilitate the economic and efficient growth of the transmission network in line with relevant industry standards, customer requirements and guidance documents
- Use power simulation software and network models, run analysis on transmissionnetwork upgradesand theimpactthese have on the performance of the overall system
- Engagewith colleagues and external parties tocoordinate entire system developments, including the introduction ofnew technologies to use on the transmissionnetwork
- Understand how the transmission networkbehavesover a range ofnetwork condition
- Ensure the transmission network is planned to acceptable and safe limitsin accordance withrelevantindustry standards
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
We can't deliver on our net zero commitment without a generation of people with the technical expertise and skills to revolutionise green technology. You'll need to be safety conscious, eager to learn and capable of working to procedures.Personal qualities
We're excited to work with people who want to make a difference. Who share our drive and dedication to create cleaner energy solutions that will benefit everyone.
We're looking for a diverse range of talents. We need the best of British ingenuity to help us address the climate challenge. We need people with creativity, energy, enthusiasm and skills from across every community to help us to do the job that can't wait.
Join us and we'll help you to realise your potential.Desired qualifications
You will need to have a GCSE in English Language and Maths at Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent) with one of the following:
• 2 A levels A* - C (1 must be in either Maths or Physics)
• BTEC National Certificate or Diploma Level 3 in an Engineering discipline, Grade Merit or Distinction (Essential the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
• ONC an Electrical discipline, Grade Merit or Distinction (Essential the Maths modules should be at Merit or Distinction)
• HNC/HND in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering, Grade: Merit or Distinction
• Degree in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering disciplineFuture prospects
On finishing the two-year Higher Apprentice Programme, you will take up a post that will lead to a role in National Grid, Electricity System Operations team.