Business Administration Apprentice - Scientific Computing Department
About the role
We have a new and exciting opportunity for a Level 3 Business Administration Apprentice based within the Scientific Computing Department (SCD) at Daresbury Laboratory. This will be a fulfilling and rewarding role playing a crucial part in supporting the demands and challenges of administrative delivery in a scientific business environment supporting world leading research.
You will be part of a small team of experienced administrative staff, supporting technical and business administration functions whilst working towards a Level 3 Business Administrator Apprenticeship.
Part of the newly formed UK Research and Innovation, the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) aims to make sense of the universe. From cancer treatment to airport security, energy generation to emergency care, our impact is felt across the globe. We’re committed to keeping the UK at the forefront of world-changing science, but that will take more than science alone. You can have the opportunity to use and develop your skills to help make this happen.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- providing both business administrative support for the SCD Directorate and SCD senior staff
- processing expense for non-employee claims
- arranging and supporting meetings for SCD as required
- responding to queries in a timely manner
- developing communications in a business environment and resolving administrative problems
- maintaining accurate and accessible records
- maintaining and purchasing stationery/office supplies for SCD
- purchase office sundries/items via Science Warehouse/receipt items
- supporting all the activities relevant to event organization and delivery including co-ordinating events on and off site including liaising with staff and external
- event participants and preparation of Health and Safety documentation;
- co-ordinating office accommodation and relevant equipment for SCD new starters and office moves where appropriate
- maintaining SCD accommodation floor plans
- maintaining SCD organogram monthly updates.
- Level 3 Business Administrator Apprenticeship
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English and Maths (if required).
You must be able to travel to Warrington and Vale Royal College independently, approximately once every month to undertake professional training.
Shortlisting (S) and Interview Criteria (I)
- knowledge of Microsoft Office products – particularly Word, Excel and Outlook (S&I)
- clear and professional written and oral communication skills (S&I)
- good organisational skills (S&I)
- ability to work in a team and independently (I)
- ability to problem solve (I)
- ability to prioritise tasks (S&I)
- good interpersonal skills (I)
- good time management skills (I)
- self-motivated (S&I)
- attention to detail (S&I)
- able to travel and work additional hours occasionally (I)
- able to commit to occasional short duration work at remote venues nationally (S&I).
- relevant experience of administrative activities or events management in social, educational, voluntary or work environment (S&I)
- qualifications in IT or Business related areas (S&I)
- good minute taking skills and excellent grammar (S&I).
In addition to the competitive salary, an excellent index linked pension scheme and generous leave allowance are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Online applications only, please submit a covering letter and CV, ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded. No Agencies.
Applications will be shortlisted by the quality of their CV and Covering Letter. Please ensure you explain clearly why you feel you are a good fit for this role, taking into account the duties and responsibilities and the person specification. Please provide examples where possible, taking into account school/college project and/or work-based experience.
The closing date for applications is 18th November 2018. The interview/assessment date for this vacancy is 5th December 2018 and will be held at Daresbury Laboratory.
We want to make our application process as easy for you as we possibly can. If you experience any problems in applying for this job, or have any feedback for us about the application process, please contact our Recruitment Hotline on 01793 867000 (8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday). Please quote the appropriate IRC reference number when calling.
If you have not already logged into iRecruitment (including as a current employee) you will be re-directed to the login/register page by clicking the "apply now" button.
If you don't have an account with us, by choosing to register you consent to UK SBS processing the information you provide as part of the Recruitment Service. You can select appropriate job alerts and notifications as part of your account preferences, and you are able to close your account (withdraw consent) should you wish to do so. Before starting your online application and inputting your personal details, please read our Privacy Notice which contains full details of how your information is processed once you have made an application.
If you would like to receive this advert in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), are unable to apply online or do not wish to create an account but would still like to apply for a specific role, please contact us by telephone on 01793 867000