Apprentice Site Carpenter
The Science and Technology Facilities Council offer a number of apprenticeships. The unique nature of the work undertaken at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory contributes to an interesting enjoyable and rewarding period of training in one of the world’s leading scientific and engineering research organisations.
As a member of STFC’s Estates Services Department, the post holder will proactively support the Estates remit to deliver flexible, customer focused and efficient services that support the delivery of STFC’s vision, values and objectives. The Estates services team needs to be agile and able to adapt to the ever changing needs of our diverse customer base therefore it is expected that the post holder will demonstrate a flexible and adaptable approach.
All members of the Estates team will, from time to time, be expected to lead or participate (appropriate to Band level) in STFC and Estates projects that may be outside their normal remit.
This Site Carpentry apprenticeship will start with Intermediate/L2, progressing to Advanced/L3 across 4 years. The apprentice will work in multiple sites ensuring STFC’s buildings provide a safe, efficient and comfortable environment for staff and visitors.
This apprenticeship role will support the undertaking of efficient and effective day to day maintenance and installation activities relating to the upkeep and development of three STFC sites; RAL, Chilbolton Observatory and Cosener’s House. The role reports to the Fabric Services Supervisor and will learn to carry out maintenance and installation tasks to ensure that STFC’s buildings provide a safe, efficient and comfortable environment to support the organisations scientific programmes and activities.
An STFC apprentice will undertake 4 years paid training, supervised by the Research Council. The salary is competitive and the apprenticeship is an ideal start to a career in a construction trade. If successful in this position you will:
- complete a prescribed programme of training to be conducted within the Rutherford Appleton Laboratories Estates Services department, working within workshops and the wider scientific laboratories
- become proficient in the installation, maintenance and repair of a wide range of building components and timber finishes
- obtain a high level of competence in bench fitting and joinery assembly skills including the use of hand tools and marking out
- obtain a high level of competence in a variety of first and second fix carpentry techniques and skills
- gain the skills to confidently and competently undertake a range of complex installations, including flooring, roofing components and staircases.
- attend college on a day release basis leading to recognised NVQ level two and three qualifications over a four year period
- carry out maintenance tasks and duties at the Laboratory as directed by the Departmental Technical Manager/Supervisor, these activities will be directly relevant to the apprenticeships’ key competencies and skills and will assist the wider department in delivering their core maintenance service commitments
- as an STFC Apprentice you will communicate to staff across STFC and at all levels. You will work as part of a team as well as working on your own. You will also have contact throughout your apprenticeship with college tutors and visitors to site
- champion the Estates service in a positive manner
- deliver a high level of customer service
- attend appropriate additional training to support the role and service delivery.
Criteria will be assessed through shortlisting (S), at Interview (I) or both (S&I).
Personal Skills and Attributes:
Candidates must be interested in construction and maintenance and enjoy the challenge of working in a multi-site environment within a large organisation . Good team working and communication skills are essential. Attention to detail is also very important.
We are looking for an individual who has or will have achieved 5 GCSE’s at Grade D/3 or above including, English and a Science/Technology subject and a Grade C/4/5 in Math’s. You must be self-motivated, enthusiastic about learning and hard working.
You will be required to attend and complete the required nationally recognised training courses. This will involve attendance at local educational establishments, on a day release basis.
- 5 GCSE Grade D/3 or above to include a Grade 4/5/C in Maths (S)
- interest in science and technology and engineering (S&I)
- interest in construction and maintenance (S&I)
- demonstrable interest in practical subjects and activities (S&I)
- good level of written and spoken English (S&I)
- ability to work using own initiative, and follow instructions (I)
- ability to work in a flexible and challenging environment(S&I)
- self-motivated and willing to undertake the work required at college and in the estates department (S&I)
- self-disciplined (I)
- demonstrates a high level of interest and enthusiasm about the role (I)
- has a clear vision of what they want to achieve and demonstrates a willingness to succeed (S&I)
- able to work as part of a team (I).
In addition to the competitive salary, an excellent index linked pension scheme and generous leave allowance are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process.
Online applications only, please submit a covering letter and CV, ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded. No Agencies.
The closing date for applications is 20th November 2018. The interview/assessment date for this vacancy is 10th December 2018.
We want to make our application process as easy for you as we possibly can. If you experience any problems in applying for this job, or have any feedback for us about the application process, please contact our Recruitment Hotline on 01793 867000 (8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday). Please quote the appropriate IRC reference number when calling.
If you have not already logged into iRecruitment (including as a current employee) you will be re-directed to the login/register page by clicking the "apply now" button.
If you don't have an account with us, by choosing to register you consent to UK SBS processing the information you provide as part of the Recruitment Service. You can select appropriate job alerts and notifications as part of your account preferences and you are able to close your account (withdraw consent) should you wish to do so. Before starting your online application and inputting your personal details, please read our Privacy Notice which contains full details of how your information is processed once you have made an application.
If you would like to receive this advert in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), are unable to apply online or do not wish to create an account but would still like to apply for a specific role, please contact us by telephone on 01793 867000.