As an apprentice with B&Q you will experience and learn all the different departments. To experience how the store works, you will spend time in all departments shadowing your colleagues and demonstrate what you have learnt with your Lifetime Regional Trainer. An example of your 12 months would look like:
- Weeks 1-2 Welcome and induction
- Weeks 3-8 Checkouts and Returns
- Weeks 9-14 Décor and Flooring & Tiling
- Weeks 15-22 Hardware
- Weeks 23-28 Building
- Weeks 29-34 TradePoint
- Weeks 35-42 Outdoor and Seasonal
- Weeks 43-50 Showrooms
- Weeks 51-52 End Point Assessment
- Learn how to actively approach customers and how to engage with them naturally, putting this in to practice and demonstrating how to have great conversations and helping them find everything they need to complete their project.
- Shadow your colleagues to learn and understand how to give the best customer service.
- Learn how to work with colleagues in the department you are training in. Understand how to support them, sharing their knowledge and expertise to help you give great service, and learn about the store.
- Learn about the different types of customer communications, the types of customer challenges and how to either deal with them or the escalation process.
- Learn and understand the importance of customer feedback, how to share it with your Unit Manager/Trading Manager, and how this can improve service and processes within your store and the business.
- Learn and understand how to utilise all available tools and systems to help maximise sales, ensuring your customer has everything they need to complete their project.
- Learn how product/project availability is maximised within the department you are training in and how this helps your customer.
- Learn about the processes relevant to the department you are working in and how they help your store, the business, and your customers.
- Learn how to take personal responsibility for being legally compliant.
What you'll need to succeed:
- A passion for learning and wanting to develop new skills and put into practice what you are learning.
- Be hardworking, looking for variety and a fast-paced working environment, with an opportunity to learn in all areas of the shop floor.
- Be committed to your apprenticeship, completing it, and achieving your qualification.
- Build a positive and effective relationship with your regional trainer
- Be committed to attending 1-2-1 six weekly sessions with your regional trainer.
Once you have completed your apprenticeship you will be required to:
- Take part in a discussion around your apprenticeship, your experiences and what you have learnt.
- Complete a multiple-choice test and an observation.
- Complete and pass your End Point Assessment.