The apprentice will attend college and participate in all facets of L3Harris MAPPS Ltd business and its intrinsic roles and functions. Tasks will range from basic maintenance through to planning and managing programmes of work requiring high standards, to be completed within exacting timescales. This represents a superb opportunity to begin and progress a career with a highly respected and rapidly expanding company in college, office and dockyard environments
A 3-year level 3 apprenticeship gaining a solid foundation of engineering skills and principles in order to bolster the Engineering Team in their endeavours to support Marine Control Systems in complex Royal Navy vessels. Assisted by a Team of enthusiastic and experienced engineers, commercial experts and contracting specialists, there will be opportunities to become increasingly involved in all other business stream activity in order to optimise the skills and knowledge gained during the apprenticeship, including design, manufacture, installation, tests and trials of hardware platforms and software applications on Naval and Commercial vessels. Gaining skills that include project planning, programming, time management and in-service support
Will be full time at Furenss College plus half term placements with L3Harris MAPPS Ltd, with In-House Development, Test, Integration and Support Engineers gaining knowledge, skills and experience in:
- General principles of marine plant and instrumentation
- Design and manufacturing for Post Design Service (PDS) tasks
- MoD (Ministry of Defence) standards and requirements for ship-borne systems
- Marine control applications and defence projects
- Test, trials, installation and commissioning
- Planning, communications, organisational and co-ordination skills
- Software programming skills
- CAD design and development
- Aim is to achieve a BTEC Diploma in Engineering
Placements within L3Harris MAPPS Ltd. and college day-release (1 day/week)
Spent solely in the workplace in planned engineering function rotations
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Candidates should have an interest in and be keen to develop multi-disciplined engineering skills which may include:
- Electrical/electronic engineering.
- Controls and Instrumentation.
- Light mechanical engineering (i.e. sheet metal fabrication).
- Good numeracy and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Minimum IT skills - familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word & Excel minimum), Outlook.
- L3Harris MAPPS Ltd. requires enthusiastic personnel who can both work well within small coherent teams and work and think independently as and when required
- Good interpersonal and communicating skills are highly valued together with the ability to work under pressure and the personality to maintain a good sense of humour
- L3Harris MAPPS Ltd. welcomes those who have a longstanding interest in technical systems, how and why they work and are put together - they will possess the drive and potential to develop through time into highly professional, qualified technicians and engineers
- The candidate should as a minimum have gained or be confident of gaining at least 5 x GCSE at 9-6 (A-B grade) in Mathematics and at 9-4 (A-C) grade in subjects including English and an appropriate Engineering or Science Subject (or equivalent).
L3Harris MAPPS Ltd is currently supporting the Albion Class Landing Platform Dock (LPD), the Astute Class Submarine including training and the Commercial Shipping and luxury Yacht sectors.
With the introduction of the new Aircraft Carrier In the near future with its size and complexity plus the prospect of additional platforms over the longer term, L3Harris MAPPS Ltd has a rapidly expanding and diverse portfolio of challenging opportunities for gifted, ambitious individuals.
Subject to successful completion of the Level 3 Apprenticeship and there being a business need for L3Harris MAPPS Ltd to employ the individual, he/she may be employed as follows:
- Visiting HM Naval Bases with field engineers to undertake fault diagnosis of Integrated Platform Management Systems (IPMS), Fibre Optic networks and Fire Detection Systems (FDS) to determine and overcome machinery monitoring and control malfunctions on Albion Class LPDs and Astute Class submarines
- Visiting HM Naval Bases with field engineers to undertake periodic software updates to IPMS on Albion Class LPDs and Astute Class submarines.
- Visiting Rosyth Dockyard to conduct IPMS commissioning work with the commissioning team on the new Aircraft Carrier under construction.
- Test, Integration and Fault Diagnosis of IPMS using the LPD Shore Reference Facility and QEC Shore Integration Facility located in the L3Harris MAPPS Ltd. Bristol office
- Visiting Faslane in support of the Astute Class Training System (ACTS).
- Potential visits to Commercial Shipping and luxury Yachts in support of diverse capabilities
In addition, there is potential to build on practical experience and achieve further qualifications in successive yearsThings to consider
- The candidate must be in a position to gain a UK Secret Clearance (SC).
- The candidate must be able to comply with Health and Safety (H&S) requirements for all facets of employment