The main objective for the Apprentice is to develop knowledge and understanding to progress towards being an Environmental Consultant within their apprenticeship timeframe. Key responsibilities will be:
- Maintaining and ensuring calibration of equipment
- Setting and working to a programme
- Carrying out monitoring/sampling at sites
- Ensuring quality and standards of construction are maintained
- Adhering to safe working practices
- Writing accurate reports
- Ensuring records of work, time, and client contact are maintained accurately
- Ensuring programme for monitoring is set and maintained
- Ensuring reporting timescales are met in agreement with clients
- Undertaking environmental monitoring of waste management and other sites
- Liaising with clients in order to provide an excellent service and rectify any problems,offering solutions, whilst maintaining service standards
- Producing well-presented and accurate documents to report and interpret data.
- Undertaking construction quality assurance (CQA) inspections/supervision and geotechnical testing for engineering projects
- Assisting and taking part in investigations for contamination status of land and producing accurate reports
- Completing accurate records of time and expenses spent on individual client work
Are you passionate about the environment but not sure where to start in your career search? Do you want to find:
- A fulfilling career with a clear support and progression pathway?
- An alternative to the traditional degree route, to earn as you learn without getting into debt?
- To be able to apply your learning and skills in a real job from the start?
Join Wiser Environment as an Apprentice and complete your Degree with us while you work.
Taking a traditional route through university is becoming more difficult as it can take years to pay back the debts incurred. Completing an Apprenticeship while you work, brings great benefits. From the start you learn skills and gain knowledge that employers need; you complete your Apprenticeship with a leading provider; you get full support from workplace and university mentors; and you work towards a clear career pathway including regular salary increases and workplace benefits.Crucially you don't get into debt to pay for your further education.
Wiser Environment is known for expert knowledge, sound advice and strong relationships that help our clients grow and prosper with compliant and responsible operations. We employ and develop a team of highly skilled and knowledgeable consultants. Plus, we actively provide an enjoyable and productive place to work where we encourage you to tackle challenges creatively. We want to create an environment of high performance, where everyone has the opportunity to thrive, align with our Core Values, show technical ability, be curious and make a meaningful difference.
To join our Apprentice scheme, we want you to demonstrate a genuine passion for improving the environment. You will need 112 UCAS tariff points which is equivalent to BBC at A-level, (excluding General Studies) or a relevant Level 3 Technician Apprenticeship. You also need five GCSE's at grade C/4 or above including Maths and English.
You need to be capable of learning how to draft a well written technical report and you will also need to demonstrate your mathematical and numeracy capability beyond Level 2 throughout your Apprenticeship. A driving licence is needed as most of our client sites are not accessible by public transport.
Initially you will be learning how to monitor, collect, analyse and interpret environmental information and data. This will involve you in setting and working to a programme of delivery for Wiser's clients, safely using and maintaining technical equipment, travelling to client sites to carry out monitoring and sampling and writing up your findings in accurate, well written reports to clients. You will be supported, mentored and funded through the Level 6 Environmental Practitioner Apprenticeship through Coventry University.
- Starting salary £12,800, your salary will increase regularly, depending upon you reaching set performance milestones.
- As an example, you could be working to Technician level by the end of your second Apprentice year; to Junior Consultant in three years and at Consultant level by the end of your Apprenticeship.(60 months)
- You will have full investment in delivery of your Level 6 Environmental Practitioner Apprenticeship to successful achievement of your Degree.This will include funding for all learning delivery via Coventry University and university mentoring.This will commence in September 2022 and will need you to travel to Coventry every two months for 3 block days of learning.
- Starting annual holiday entitlement of 28 days that increases with service to 36 days.
- Cycle to Work Scheme (after successful completion of Probationary period, dependent upon minimum salary levels).
- Electric Vehicle Scheme. (after successful completion of Probationary period, dependent upon minimum salary levels)
- Life Insurance from Day One of employment.
- Flexible working scheme.
- Company Sick PayScheme.
- NEST contributory pension scheme membership.
- Employee Assistance Programme membership. This package includes support with lifestyle and mental health issues, 24/7 GP access, financial, legal advice, counselling and physiotherapy.
Your career progression is important to us at Wiser Environment. You will receive individual support, mentoring and personal development planning alongside your Apprenticeship to help you achieve Technician, Junior Consultancy and Consultancy levels and benefits. You will also be encouraged and supported to find your own areas of specialism, whether that be in Planning and Permitting, Resource Management or Renewable Energy & Sustainability.
To apply please download the Job Description. If you think you're a good match, email our Business Support Manager, Amanda Livermore on firstname.lastname@example.org attaching your CV, or a brief summary of your background, with your answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to work for us?
- How do your knowledge, skills and abilities meet the requirements of the job description?
- How did you hear about this job post?
- Are you eligible to work in the UK?
- How far do you live from our office in St Ives, Cambridgeshire?
- How would you intend to travel to the office and client sites?
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- You need to be capable of learning how to draft a well written technical report and talking to clients about technical issues, so good written English and oral communication skills will be needed
- You will need to demonstrate your mathematical and numeracy capability beyond level 2 throughout your Apprenticeship
- Strengths and interests in science subjects is desirable
- It would be advantageous if you can demonstrate a passion for environmental issues such as green industries, sustainability or clean energy generation, which may have been demonstrated through your voluntary work or hobby activities
- You need to have a good work ethic and be able to align with Wiser's Core Values which can be seen on our website. https://www.wiserenvironment.co.uk/about-us/our-vision-and-core-values/
- Applicants require five GCSE's at grade C/4 or above including maths and English
- 112 UCAS tariff points (equivalent to BBC at A-level)
- Direct Entry Applicants have completed a relevant level 4 qualification
- Applicants who don't have the above entry requirements will still be considered on their individual merits where alternative and additional evidence of aptitude, such as extensive practical experience is evident
Things to consider
- Longer term career opportunities within the company
- You need to have the right to work in the UK
- You will need a full UK driving licence as you will need to travel to client sites which are not accessible to public transport
- Access to a car is desirable
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit:https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates